Thursday, May 8, 2014

GP TT and Crit (Series 2 first race) Report

Strava
TT:   http://www.strava.com/activities/139073596
Crit:  http://www.strava.com/activities/139073594

First things first...I'm really bummed I haven't been able to get out for our lunch rides for the last two weeks.   My last outing was 3 weeks ago and only with Vin, so technically, that's 3 weeks of not riding with the crew and getting the intense training that I value from our lunch rides.  Hopefully, I'll be out next week.  I did wonder on the way to the crit how this lack of intensity training would play out for today's races, but I couldn't let that mentally affect my efforts. 

Todd got to GP just after me, and of course I proceeded to tell him about my bio issues and how my stomach was bubbling after a less than successful attempt for a #2 prior to leaving work.  I did warn him how riding behind me probably wouldn't be a good idea, so at least I I was considerate enough to do so. 

During the warm-ups, there was obviously some windy sections and mostly as you hit the bottom of the course, but that seemed to die down some before the race.  The temperature was definitely more ideal compared to last week, so it would just be the wind that we'd have to contend with on the TT.  If you haven't read it enough already, having a power meter is absolutely invaluable for racing in these types of conditions. 

Todd and I warmed up separately, so when I lined up, he was still warming up.  Knowing that TJ would be behind me definitely raised the anxiety level for the race.  He's got such a fast lap, that I always have to prepare myself in the event he passed me.  Of course, I would also use that thought to push as hard as I could as long as I could, so it was definitely helpful to have him out there. 

This was an usual TT where I didn't end up getting passed at all.  I always expect a 1/2/3 to pass me, but that never happened and I did all the passing.  I ended up passing Rose, a friend we met who races a lot of TTs, and startled her inadvertently as she didn't hear me call out that I was on her left.  It was on my 3rd lap and at the bottom of the track going into the 2nd turn of the double apex where I dove into it just ahead of her.  I had to alter my line a little bit just so I can get by her on the outside, but I didn't want to lose too much time by going too wide, so I passed her at speed just before getting through that turn.  She was upset originally, but she forgave me after. 

I knew I had a good first lap as I saw my time was ahead of my last time out by about 6 seconds, but I also thought I was feeling it more for doing so by the 3rd lap.  However, I seemed to have recovered enough for the last lap and managed to finish just getting under 23 minutes...which was my goal.  Strava shows me as having done it in 22:54, but my Garmin said 22:58 (27.2/3 mph avg).  We'll see what the official time says.  Todd felt he had a good run too where he bested his previous, but then wasn't sure after a while, so we'll see as well.  Hopefully, we managed to get the top 2 spots again as we did 2 weeks ago.  We'll see....

After the TT, we saw Shannon and John L. as we got ready for the crit.  I sucked down as much coconut water as possible hoping not to meet the same cramping fate as last week and got a little warm-up in as well.  We all met up after and talked to other people who were out for the race.  Here, Todd and I noticed how everyone seemed to know Shannon (celebrity status) and rightfully so.   I'm sure everyone realizes that he's definitely a force out there (and everywhere else), so it's no wonder that everyone wants to be on his good side.  One guy who wasn't even riding even fixed Shannon's number expecting he might be in a breakaway where he didn't want it to impede him from doing so.  It's obvious that people are coming to terms with what we've known all along...he's a beast!

When we lined up for the race, we saw some new faces, some returned faces who weren't there toward the end of the last series, and some familiar faces as well.  The size of the group wasn't as big as it's been before,  but it was definitely respectable.  Given it's the first race of the series, I wondered who was going to be pushing the pace and what the dynamics were going to be for the race.  Most importantly, I wondered if I was going to be able to keep up. 

Shannon pushed up to the front of the line upon the start, but I wasn't too far behind and Todd just behind me.   It was a big group ride in the beginning, but Shannon and one other broke away n the 2nd lap pretty much without much of a response from the peleton.  I pushed up closer to the front on the back side of the track when I saw this and contemplated on joining them.  However, I was hesitant to do so given I wasn't sure I wouldn't tow the group behind me.  Ultimately, I decided I would just watch to see if others would be drawn to help where should the breakaway grow, I would also try and jump in...try being the operative word.

Ultimately, no one pushed to breakaway with Shannon and the other guy, so they were relegated back into joining the pack eventually.   There were a couple other small breakaway attempts, but none that seemed too threatening.  When it got to the prime lap, I was actually thinking of going for it just to see if I could get some extra points, but I knew doing so would mean I probably wouldn't have enough for the end.  When I stood up for a sprint to end the prime just before the last turn, I wasn't really in a good position and realized that it was just good to sprint enough to stay with those who took off so as to not have to put too much effort into bridging any gaps.  That worked out and I was able to manage my output accordingly.

While the 3 of us were separated early on in the race, I did find my way to be close to Shannon around the last 2-3 laps of the race.  There were still a couple riders between us, but I would try to keep close to him in case we can work together during the finish.   There was a crash that had occurred during the bottom part of the track (due to flat I think), and some took the opportunity to amp it up at that point.  Fortunately, all of us were able to make our way past that unscathed.  Additionally we also were able to stay with those who tried to take advantage of the opportunity.  It's one of those things that comes naturally nowadays where you know those who are just ahead of the crash will likely take off.   I guess you can call that racing experience.

There were a couple more surges on the last couple laps with some pretty good ones on the last.  It's just that attacks at that point were short-lived where they would end up being pulled in by the rest of the peloton.  After rounding the bottom of the track, I was beside a guy we met who was a professor at UCI (Jeff) and he swerved toward me from reacting to someone on his other side.  I asked him to hold his line just to make sure we were both safe because I didn't see the guy who caused him to react, but the exchange in dialog caused me to lose sight of Shannon.  Thus, I just had to keep working to get in position for a sprint and see what I could do.  The surges beforehand took some toll, but no guts no glory, right?

As we were on the straight just before the final turn, the speed started picking up and I couldn't tell who was around given the sun was directly in front of us.  Everyone was basically just a shadow at that point, but I did see the two guys who rounded the corner first.  All I focused on at that point was being able to round as fast as I could and hopefully be in a position to have a good sprint.  One guy had passed me beforehand, so I tried to use his slipstream, but I ended being out in the open just going for it after the turn.

I didn't think I was in the best gear for a sprint after rounding the turn, but I also thought switching might cause enough of a stutter where I would even lose more position.  I did manage to make my way past some people and chasing down the two guys up front, but I ran out of steam close to the end and ended up hopefully in 4th place (unofficially).   Shannon wasn't far behind me as I had passed him unknowingly where I didn't get a chance to call him out and give him a lead out for the sprint (or vice versa).  Todd was also in the pack during the finish, but the chaos within our group kept him from getting into a good position for a final sprint. 

Not a bad night of racing for team BRCM.   John L. had gotten a flat and wasn't able to finish with the pack, but at least it didn't result in a crash.  I think there were a couple during our race. 

Although Shannon had to tend to some things after the race where he couldn't stick around long after, he did give Todd and I a bomber of his tasty brew.  Hell, that's better than winning!  I'm going to save it for this weekend, so I can drink and enjoy it responsibly.  Thanks, Shannon.

Todd and I hung out after for a bit and talked about the racing.  One of the things that people may not understand is that while we're all competitive, we also do what we can to push one another and help each other improve.  Todd and I were exchanging tips and strategies for TT, so this definitely epitomizes the teamwork and sportsmanship that I hope more people get to know about us.  Who better to talk this over with than last year's GP TT winner.  No matter what, we're going to continue doing what we can to represent the team and help each other to do so.  I already know Shannon is the same way, so who can ask for better teammates, right? 

Go team BRCM!


No comments:

Post a Comment