Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lunch Ride - Starcrest NPC Horseshoe Spyglass San Miguel Bonita Canyon Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/4945769

I decided not to race tonight and just wait for when the time changes as LTJ suggested, so I figured I'd ride at lunch today and get just as good of a workout.  PV came out today on Galen's bike, and it's always nice to have him out with us.  Vince came out too after being sick for a while and is still even on antibiotics.  Crazy.  Todd, Adrian, Seon, Vin, Hiroshi, Jaffe, and David were also a part of the crew today.

It was the usual no warm-up pace to Anteater and Todd even kicked it up a notch on the last part of the rise to get to Bonita Canyon first.  The pace continued up Shady pretty high, but most everyone managed to stay on for the left turn on Sunnyhill to Turtle Rock.

Good pulls going on as we head down toward Campus, and just after passing it, Jaffe busted a serious breakaway to start the climb.  I felt like I was just standing still when he took off.  Crazy.  PV gave chase, but didn't reel him in until just before Starcrest.

On Starcrest, Todd finally came around as did Hiroshi and they started charging the hill with PV.  I was behind them all but managed to work my way past PV and Hiroshi before the top.  Todd had his Colorado lungs on and just couldn't be caught.  After PV, Vin came in before Hiroshi so he must have been right there also.  Nice work!

After regrouping at the top, we hear a pop and lo and behold, one of Hiroshi's spoke busted.  Bummer.  Too much power now I guess when he charges the hills.  As he said he was fine to make his way back, we all continued.

The pace continued on pretty fast on Turtle Rock and up and over Shady.  Adrian sprinted for the bike trail, but no one responded.  Personally, I didn't think I'd have anymore for NPC if I did, but as you'll find out, it didn't matter.

On NPC, Todd and PV were climbing strong and Vin kept their pace for a long time only falling off sometime after the 73 underpass from what I could see.  Mitchell and Jaffe had a good pace too and I couldn't keep up with any of them.  I did mix it up with one guy who had caught me, but after he worked to catch up to Jaffe and Mitchell, I was content to just watch as I made my way up NPC.  Thank God for Todd setting up a regroup point.

On the Horseshoe, the pace got hot pretty fast and I was the last one to make the turn onto it.  Thus, I had to work just to latch on to the back a little ways up.  As Vin, Adrian, Todd and PV worked the front, I hung on but decided to try and sprint past them on the last incline.  Adrian was not about to give away this segment that he feels rightfully belongs to him, so he comes sprinting past me only to have me latch on and take the segment anyway...ironically thanks to him.  Haha.  I hate when that happens.

On the downhill on San Joaquin, one guy was wanting to mix it up but we ended up turning on Spyglass.  I again came around last on the turn but decided to spin up and had worked my way past a few guys trying to reel Todd in (PV had a good jump).  Then, you hear another pop.  Actually, you just see it...me stopping abruptly asking myself why do I want to do this. Everyone passes asking if anything was wrong, and truthfully, nothing was really wrong.  I just broke rule #5.

Adrian and I finished the hill together and we caught Jaffe, Mitchell and Vin at the bottom.  We made our way up San Miguel together and was close to coming up to PV and Todd, but just missed where we had to give chase on McArthur.  Adrian led that chase and Mitchell, Vin and Jaffe put in some strong pulls where as it came up to my turn, I decided to try and close the gap as Todd and PV crossed Ford just ahead of us.  I was close but thankfully had the first light after Bison to be able to get with these two.  The other guys had dropped only a little bit but was upon us within seconds.

As we went over the 73, there was a CHP there sitting just before it so I was calling out to make sure everyone was aware.  Fortunately, there was a series of green lights going over where Vin, Mitchell and/or Jaffe, were just sprinting to California.  Vin looked to have taken that.  Wow.  Times are changing for sure and I think the original Wed/Fri crew has just about had it with all the smack I've been talking previously.  Kudos, kudos, and more kudos.

Thanks for the workout today, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment