Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lunch Ride - Anteater Starcrest Ridgeline Shady Summit Condo

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/14743247 (lost connection to satellite 2 miles away from the end)

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince, Todd, Jeremy, Adrian, Vin, Hiroshi, Mitchell and David

Highlights:

  • Despite group firepower today, Jeremy was set to try and take S-Gary Peltason segment.  The kid's got heart and took 4th all by his lonesome.  Sa-weet!
  • The pace was fast already on Culver but everyone pretty much stayed together until we hit Turtle Rock. 
  • On Starcrest, more attrition set in and as it pitched up toward the end, it was only Shannon, Vince, Todd and me.  
  • Vince and Todd turned it up near the top and ended up breaking away from Shannon and I.  
  • Shannon and I took turns going down Ridgeline in chase mode of the two guys but on the bike trail, it was ALL Shannon.  He was able to reel Todd and Vince in just at the end of the straight away with me in tow.  
  • The 4 of us went up Shady together with Todd leading us up and over the top.  They began to exchange pulls after, but I was just struggling to hang on.  
  • I did end up taking a pull or two after the gate as we made our way up and over toward Bonita Canyon Dr.  Shannon broke off for a sprint at the end followed by Vince while I sat comfortably behind LTJ.  I know...I know.
  • When we went up Turtle Ridge, I did start to fall off just a little, but I was able to recover enough to catch the left turn onto Summit with the guys.  
  • On Summit, LTJ was leading us up with Shannon and Vince ahead of me.  I had a good pace and passed Vince as a gap was forming behind Shannon.  Vince groaned as he dropped off first, and I dropped off Shannon's wheel after a sloppy downshift where I lost some momentum.  Todd and Shannon amped it as the reach the turnaround, and Vince was hot on my tail where he was almost just behind me as we made our u-turn.  
  • As we descended, we see Jeremy making his way up Summit on our side of the road (WTF?) so Vince and I checked up a little bit.  Vince passed me after that and we were able to regroup at the light on Bonita Canyon.  Jeremy rolled up and made the light with us too.  
  • We exchanged pulls up through McArthur, but after the light, Todd and Vince gapped the rest of us.  
  • Jeremy was asking about the Condo segment and wanted a piece of that, so he eventually pulled ahead of me as well.  Shannon didn't make his way past me until we were near the bottom of the turn to go up the Condo.  
  • Shannon had been indicating the wind conditions were ideal to go for KOM on the condo before we hit it, so that's exactly what he did.  He sent me packing by one second.  It was just a matter of time.  And here I thought we were friends.  Just kidding.
  • Jeremy had a good run up it too, and although I was gaining on him on the hill a little, he was able to pull it back out after we crested.  In the end, we both had the same time where he bumped Hiroshi out of top 10.  Good job.
  • I could see the guys were thinking about sprinting at the end on Bison, and Jeremy made the first move and took off gapping the rest of us pretty good.  As I sprinted past the others, Todd told me "Get him!"...so I did.  Great effort though for Jeremy.    
Another good workout for the week.  Thanks to Todd, Vince and Shannon for tolerating my drafting as much as they did.  I pulled when I could though...does that count?

No comments:

Post a Comment