Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lunch Ride - Bike Trail Laguna Cyn Shady Bonita Cyn University CA

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/38366990

It was nice to have more people out for today's lunch ride (Vince, Todd, Mitchell, Vin, Hiroshi and Steve), but "nice" may be subject to interpretation.  "Nice" would usually be associated with friendly and fun, but I don't know if being on a ride where the mode of operation is to try and drop others would fall under either definition.  At least the weather was somewhat nice...warm sun and calm winds.  I could have done without the dryness though.

I think Todd started things off with an early breakaway going down California.  I followed but only slowly made my way up to him but having a slight gap behind me.  When we caught the light on University, I had just gotten up to him and thought we would cross possibly breaking away from the others at this point.  However, the rest of the group made their way through the light and were just behind us as we both got on the bike trail.

I guess Todd wasn't happy about this and already started cranking the pace up ahead of me.  While I was slowly making my way back up to him again, I guess I wasn't doing so fast enough as Vince came around from behind me and closed the gap faster.  Vince eventually took the subsequent pull, and I took the one after.

Just when I thought that the three of us would likely be doing all the rotations up front, lo and behold that Hiroshi, Mitchell, Jaffe and Vin pulled up beside me to also participate in the rotations.  Today would be a good day to buy a lotto ticket.  That dwindled eventually after a couple pulls as far as the bike trail is concerned, but it was still appreciated nonetheless.  I did end up rotating back behind some of them only to watch while Todd gets held out a few places, but I can't really say it didn't serve him right for all his breakaway attempts today.

Of course, when we get off the bike trail, Vin takes the front after comfortably sitting in the back for a while, and seemingly tried to encourage Todd to break away with him on Laguna Canyon.  Fortunately, that was hindered by hitting the light on Alton.  I think he tried again after the light turned green, but with less success as no gap ever formed as a result.

Todd took the front after and again seemed to amp it up a little before we hit Quail Hill, but I was still on and able to get to the front and stay there ALL the way to Shady...WTF?!?  HAHA.  Although I knew I was probably getting setup, it was still a good workout if I got dropped at that point.

I started climbing up Shady and tried to maintain a consistent pace but when I looked back after hearing Vince say something, I realized I started to gap the other guys.  Now having ridden with this crew for as long as I have, the one thing I've come to know is never fully expect any breakaway to stick...especially on a hill! I stood up and tried to get a little more momentum, but sure as sh!t, Todd's making his way past me about 3/4 of the way up.  Told ya.  I tried to spin up to get on his wheel, but it was just enough to not let him gap me too much.  I knew if I worked harder to catch him that I'd probably pay the price of getting dropped after the top.

Todd was still in breakaway mode on the descent and was able to keep me out of his draft until that one little kicker hill after the bridge.  I was able to close on him there enough, so that when he slowed to cross that one opening, I was able to be right there with him.  There was no way I was going to take the front at that point, however, as I knew he'd just used me up and spit me out.

I waited until we got to the rise after the gate (okay maybe 3/4 of the way up) before taking the front again and leading us down.  Todd jumped to the front to relieve me on the descent, but I shamelessly jumped to the front before the bike trail opening.  By the time we got to the light, it had just turned green and I was further relieved to believe that the breakaway we had would stick.

However, once we got on Bonita Canyon, Todd started telling me to speed up as the rest of the crew was coming up behind us and coming up fast.  Damn!  I was a little worked at this point, but we both started rotating more to try to keep the rest of the guys off.  We were very lucky that traffic lights were very cooperative, and we knew that crossing either McArthur or Jamboree just as it was turning yellow had sealed the others fate at that point.  You'd think we'd slow down as a result, but Todd doesn't roll that way.

We kept the pace up on Eastbluff, even getting me a 9th place on Strava for that street, and hardly ever slowed down even after getting on the sidewalk/bike trail headed to University.  One guy on a recumbent bike, however, opted to try and cut in front of me just as we were nearing the underpass, where I did have to slow down not only to avoid crashing but to also check my shorts for dookie.

Todd took the front after that hardly slowing down, and we both pushed on all the way to California.  Even climbing California was tough, but I knew better than lead Todd up.  HA HA.  I held his wheel again here until about 3/4 of the way up (again) and passed him (although calling it out vs. doing it sneakily).  I'll admit I had passed him at a pretty good clip, but Todd being the competitor he is just wouldn't let me get to the top ahead of him.  With the light being green on Bison, we got to the light together but he had more momentum so he got to the other side ahead of me.  Vin and Vince were rolling up at the intersection too, so they came in with us at that point.  22.5 mph not too shabby despite today's antics.

Nice?  Maybe I should have chosen a different word.  At least it was yet another great workout with the team.  According to Vince, it was a great workout for everyone else as well.  Thanks, gents!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, is this you?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSwYhlNCwc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally I've came in to contact with you. Is there any way you can share your program on your journey to bench 375 @ 165lbs.

      Delete
    2. Not on this blog I won't, but you can read my training blog from last year here: http://weightsandcycling.blogspot.com/. I'll respond to any comments you have on that blog pertaining to my "journey."

      Delete