Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Lunch Ride - I'll Have an Order of Intervals with a Side of Pain Please

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/51593302

It was a good turnout today where originally, we thought we'd be doing a ride without Todd (hushed applaud in the background) and Jeremy, but they ended up being able to make it last minute.  Also joining us today was Adrian, Vince, Vin, Mitchell, Jaffe, and once again Andy came out to partake in the mayhem that we call our lunch ride.

Temperature-wise, I don't think it can be any better than today with all the cloud cover keeping it cool but comfortable even without a base layer or arm warmers.  The only thing is the winds seem to have returned from last week and definitely made some sections pretty difficult.  One notable section was the climb up Ridgeline.  It's bad enough that you're going uphill but with a direct headwind where you can see leaves heading toward you, it was definitely even tougher.

Vince started the group off and left in a hurry making it manic from the start.  I think we were pretty much sprinting up E. Peltason just to catch up to him where thankfully, there was the stop sign at the top to allow a regroup.  Todd decided to bust it on Anteater also gapping the group early on, but Jeremy got on his wheel with everyone else behind him.

Now I hadn't pulled yet by the time we got to Culver, but Vince and Todd saw to it to bring the pace up right away after making the left from the light.  After we crested, I thought I'd give the segment a good seated sprint to breakaway from the others but expecting to be caught by Campus.  This earned me 5th place on the segment, but I guess Andy must have been hauling ass as well given he shared my time.

On Campus, Vince and Todd got ahead of me and they turned it up a little as we headed to Turtle Rock but Todd got confused with the route where we checked up a little before making the right turn.  Once we got climbing, we were all pretty much together and started rotating during the climb.  Adrian in his infinite wisdom while on his son's bike opted to show his "technique" of sprinting ahead while I was at front at one point only to be reeled in and not offer anyone (me) reprieve from the wind.  Sigh.

Aside from Adrian's move as described above, others took their turn and pretty much helped to keep the pace up as we climbed toward Sunnyhill.  It wasn't the fastest pace, so I will say it seems somewhat "managed" given that people were still preparing for the upcoming climbs on Shady and Ridgeline.  What this reflects is that either people are respecting their fellow riders OR that they're trying to set them up somewhere in the ride.  I'd tend to side on the latter knowing the group's "culture."

When we got on the bike trail to go up Shady, the majority was still together, which does exhibit the resilience of the riders that come out.  When we went over the first bridge, Adrian opted to try and sprint up the hill, but that's one of my favorite sections to make my way up to the front...so I did.  I half thought about trying to break away at that point, but I think Vince was there with me and Todd behind him where I realized it wouldn't be a good idea.  They did kindly let me lead them toward the top (HA HA) where Todd saw to it to attack near the crest undisputed.  Okay, so I tried to keep up but couldn't at that point.

On the descent, there was still a good group of us together as we made our way off and onto the connecting bike trails.  Jeremy opted to enjoy the direct route and just rode on the street to the last bike trail opening, which I'm going to consider as a great option next time to make up ground.

Once on the bike trail beside the 405, I was 4th and was trying to roll up to the front when Todd seemingly wanted to jump back in in front of me relegating me to staying behind him (wink wink).  I think Jeremy took the last pull and maybe Todd got under the bridge first, but I'd hardly say it was a sprint as much as just a rotation.  I was half trying to recover from Shady and the other half trying to prepare for Ridgeline, so I thought a sprint wouldn't help in either of those situations.

I did end up pushing up to the front as we climbed up toward University to lead for a little bit and relieve Vin who had gotten up front at the time.  Vince and Todd ended up getting ahead of me though by the time we got to Ridgeline, and we caught the light and started the climb with Todd leading the way.

Looking down at my speed as we climbed, we were far from how fast we normally climbed but once I got to the front, I knew exactly why.   As I mentioned above, that headwind was ridiculous, and it seemed to double our efforts as we made our way up.  Vince finished up front after the last section that pitched up, and I was behind Todd watching to see if he was going to jam to the stop sign.  It seems he hesitated a bit, but then he took off and Vince and I got behind him as we headed to the Turtle Rock intersection.  While I think the three of us could have broken away at that point, we did check up a little bit and the others were so close behind that they were with us again by the time we got to Sunnyhill if not earlier.

As we made our way back onto Shady heading towards Bonita Canyon, Todd was up front but I opted to go ahead and get my pull in early and relieved him.  The guys passed me at some point where I latched onto the back to prepare for any sprints to the bike trail opening.  As we were heading down, Todd was at the front with Vince behind him and me on Vince's wheel when Jeremy passed to lead anyone to the sprint.  Of course, Vince obliged but I was ready for him and took off getting to the bike trail first.

We had regrouped at the light to turn left on Bonita Canyon, but then got separated as we made our way to Turtle Ridge.  Mitchell, Vin and I turned from the left turn lane ahead of Todd, Vince, and Jeremy who opted to go across from the crosswalk.  As the three of us climbed Turtle Ridge, I thought to myself 1)would it would be a good idea to maintain the breakaway with Vin and Mitchell? 2) try to breakaway on my own or 3) realize it would be no fun trying to get away only to be chased down and caught by Vince, Todd and Jeremy.  BAM would typically dictate 1 or 2, but TBAM (T = tactical) was my mode of choice where I'd just wait for them to pass at some point and be able to latch on.  They must have been onto me though, because as we got on Summit, I ended up taking the front waiting...and waiting...and waiting...for someone to pass only to have Todd roll up beside me a little past half way up.  He didn't pass, however, so HE was the one setting me up for a sprint to the top.  Sure enough, after the last side street, off he went where I couldn't keep pace with him.  Then, I look to my left half expecting it to be Vince or Jeremy only to see that it was Vin trying to beat me to the top.  Nice.  I made the u-turn ahead of him though, so next time.  :)

The majority of the group managed to regroup at the left turn to Bonita Canyon, and I took the back once the light turned green.  Talk about serious accordion effect....  I kept incrementally turning it up thinking I'll latch on, I'll latch on, but it didn't seem like the gap was closing even a little.  I had to hit Zone 5 just to be able to latch on by the time we got under the 73.

As we made our way through a couple of the lights, at one point I was up front with Todd behind me where I guess Mitchell ended up getting a flat.  Todd and I opted to keep going since others were staying to help.  We slowed for the light at MacArthur, so Jaffe was able to roll up behind us.  Todd opted to gap us on Ford, but I wasn't too far behind as I was trying to suck up wind enough for a sprint up the Condo.  Unfortunately, Todd had to check up for the right turn due to a car, so I ended up sprinting past him early on.  Todd's sneaky though, so I did look over my shoulder a couple times just to make sure he hadn't latched on...and he didn't.

When we got on Bison to stop at the MacArthur intersection, Jaffe and Vin rolled up on us and Todd was already preparing me for a sprint.  Sure...why not?   The lights after MacArthur weren't too cooperative, but once we saw that the 2nd light over the 73 was going to be green, I took off from behind Todd and Vin.  Vin did end up rolling beside me at one point but I stayed seated and just kept hammering where we were both pretty close to being neck and neck by the time we got to California.  He, however, opted to go straight to keep momentum while I made the right turn and was thinking he got me by the time we got back to the gym. I told him the sprint point ended by the first one to make the turn to Bison (not East Peltason), so ummm...sorry.  HA HA.

These BRCM lunch rides are truly an effective way to get a great workout, but they also serve the purpose of being able to test strategies, practice sprints and climbing, etc.  It's a mixed bag of pain for sure and one that you can never truly prepare for given how dynamic they can be depending on who makes it out.  Gotta love it.  Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment