Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Orchard Hills Revisited with Shannon

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/50375609

Unlike the last time I did this ride, which was my first time out, I actually felt okay albeit just a little hungry.  I downed a Tiger's Milk bar just before leaving from work, so I was hoping that it would hold me for the length of this training ride.   If I knew it was going to be as fast as it was tonight I would have downed a whole box of them...followed up with a blood transfusion...and some EPO.  Obviously, I kid about the box of Tiger's Milk. 

Anyway, I met up with Shannon on Portola a little earlier than expected, so I guess he was ready to go already.  We were rolling right away, and we rolled up to about 4 riders wearing Two Hub jersey riding a bunch of bling.  They looked Filipino, and I mentioned to Shannon how our culture tends to be flashy.  I wouldn't know though.  HA HA.

As we started up the first loop, we passed a couple riders and one of them noticed our BRCM jersey.  As we passed, we hear "Broadcom?"  Then he proceeded to call my name.  Wha?  It turned out to be someone who knows me from Strava but someone I haven't meant before.  His name was Steve and he actually is a member of the Rokform team (previously Sho-Air) and rides with Sol on occasion.  Interesting how Strava can bring people together.  Coincidentally, he once applied for an internship at BRCM in the controller group where I work.  Small world.  We rode with Steve and his bud for a bit, but they were going a little faster than we were wanting to go, so they rode ahead of us while we finished up our 2nd warm up lap.  

When we got to the wait point at the top, there were some racers waiting up there including Trevor George himself.  If you don't know Trevor, he's someone we knew about from the crits who is ridiculously fast.  His narrow build with big quads may have something to do with that...quite intimidating I must say.  For Strava followers, Trevor also has the KOM for the Orchard Hills loop so I knew it was going to get nutty fast. 

When we got going, it wasn't too bad trying to keep up since it was mostly downhill.  However, once we made the right on Culver to hit the climb, this is where it started to get crazy.  For the first lap, Shannon was definitely mixing it up early on, but I waited a little bit more just to get accustomed to the pace and make sure I don't pop off right away.  I actually got pushed up to the front once or twice as well, so I'll have to figure out how to avoid that the next time around. 

On the 2nd lap, it was still fast and I managed to stay with the pack as well with Shannon still favoring the front.  However, after that, it was just impossible.  It was tough holding on, and when a guy in a Simple Green popped off in front of me, it was pretty much pointless to close the gap.  I wouldn't fall off too far, but I was definitely not able to close the gap.  It was only because of the light on Portola that I kept catching the fast group. 

There were a lot of people out there today, and some riding across the bike lane here and there making it challenging just to get around them.  I think they need to find a more leisurely area to train on if you ask me just because it seemed a little scary at some points.

The rest of the laps were pretty much the same...ride with the fast crew up until Culver, hold on for as long as I can, pop off, and either work with others to get up to the top or just set up my own pace so I can plan to hopefully catch the others once back on Portola.  Eventually, I was able to make my way up to Shannon again where at that point, I mentioned to him that I was done and ready to go since I had an appointment at 7 (sold my motorcycle).  He did better than me but was also done for the night as well. 

After some reflection, I think it was disrespectful to have come out on this training ride after having done a fast paced lunch ride where I deserved the abuse.  The funny thing is I also wonder if I had skipped the lunch ride whether there would be any difference in the outcome.  The guys out there are definitely FAST, so I may have been able to hang in there more for maybe one additional lap or so if that. 

Shannon did great but also thought he should get in more lunch rides if he thinks he wants to improve for this training loop.   Can you say, "uh oh?"  I guess our lunch rides are going to get even nuttier sooner than later.  Great.

Thanks for coming out, Shannon!



No comments:

Post a Comment