Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tuesday Lunch Ride Virtual Report from the Land of Naan

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/55545774 (Winner of best overall average speed)

First of all, I wanted to say thanks again to the guys who are posting their Strava stats up and letting me check it out while I'm abroad.  It's been very helpful to use as a tool to motivate me to exercise during my stay here, and it gives me some insight on how everyone is riding in preparation for what I should expect when I return.  Of course, the segment stats do not paint a complete picture of what's actually happening on the ride (say should someone breakaway using a traffic light for example), but it's better than nothing.  Galen even dedicated one of his rides to motivate me, so how cool was that?  Anyway, onto my virtual evaluation of Tuesday's ride.

Based on the Strava uploads, it looks like Shannon, Todd, Vince, Adrian, Jeremy, Hiroshi and Jaffe made it out.  I'll also assume Mitchell made it out despite never posting up his stats...too amateur I guess.  All-in-all, it looks like everyone's lining up to make me walk through the gauntlet upon my return.  I know, I know...the world doesn't really revolve around me, but hey, you don't know these guys like I  know these guys.

The pace going up through the S-Gary Peltason segment was fast, but it appears everyone managed to stay together through that point.  It was only through the climb up NPC that the numbers changed dramatically with Todd and Shannon seemingly on their own.  The odd thing is it seems they were the only ones who did the Pelican loop.  Even Jeremy, who was the one who announced the route, rode down NPC instead.  WTF?  HAHA.

There must have been a regrouping at some point after since it looks like the stats were fairly familiar (and fast) on PCH. Continuing onto the bike trail by the trailer park, it seems Hiroshi may have been the only one who had not stayed with the group as the rest of the stats there were similar.

On Back Bay, it seems the pace was upwards of 27+ mph average for only 4 people but wait...Jaffe was one of them?  Hmm....  Shannon gave him kudos for his stats and mentioned how he took the lead at one point to get his time.  I'm thinking ONLY point, but hey...maybe I'm wrong.  I'm just sayin'.  In any case, it's no easy feat to stay on, so kudos to Steve nonetheless.  Jeremy didn't look like he was too far behind, but Adrian averaged 16.2?!?  How's that for an endorsement to buy a Cannondale Evo?  Just kidding, Adrian.  Must have been a mechanical (wink wink).  Todd and Vince had top speeds on the final climb out of Back Bay, so I'm assuming they probably launched from behind Shannon the workhorse (although I hear Jaffe had also said he didn't seem like he was working enough out there...talk about poking the bear).

It seems the Todd, Shannon and Vince were broken away from everyone at this point as they had comparable speeds on University, but Vince seemed like he was in cool down mode up CA as Todd and Shannon made their way up back to work.  Everyone else seemed to follow behind and go up CA at a similar speed.

I come back on Saturday, and obviously, I'm going to have to get on a REAL bike during the long weekend just to prepare for a beat down.  The funny thing is I probably won't make the Tuesday ride due to an appointment unless the guys want to get out early.  That should give me a chance to train up a little more and lose some of the naan and Indian barley weight I'm sure I've gained over the last two weeks.  As if that would make a difference....I'm getting abused either way.

Thanks for reading!  HA

No comments:

Post a Comment