Thursday, January 23, 2014

BRCM Lunch - Is This Training or Actually a Race? A Power Meter Would Be Stumped

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/108489732

Attendees:  Todd, Vince, Mitchell, Vin, Adrian, Jaffe and Johnny (new)

Highlights:
- Health Sciences Road is still closed but with no sign!

- Todd led everyone out all the way to Bonita Canyon with no relief.  Even doing so, this was too hot for newcomer Johnny where he dropped at E. Peltason.

- I rotated with Todd after we got to Bonita Canyon, and we took turns all the way to Spyglass with me taking final pull.

- I think 2 people reminded me to get in my small ring earlier before the Spyglass climb.  Of course, the problem was on a different bike since I had my BMC today.  I did it anyway.  HA

- Todd led up Spyglass climb and started to pull away, but I popped off some midway with Vince passing me and getting up to the top just after Todd.  Mitchell stayed with me though and we made it together to San Joaquin fortunately catching the two ahead of us.

- Todd led up San Joaquin and had gapped early on where Mitchell passed both Vince and I to latch on.  I passed Vince who latched on to me, and I was able to make it up to Mitchell's wheel to ride the Todd train until it flattened out some.

- As we approached Ridgeline, I pointed that we were making a right but there were cars in the corner that had caused us to stop.  When the light turned green, Vince opted to go straight while a bewildered Todd and I made the right turn just as we signaled beforehand.  Mitchell came with.

- Todd and I worked together on NPC and Pelican and subsequently on PCH to Poppy.  Mitchell stayed with us there too.  Vince and Vin arrived shortly after and made the light with us.  I think Jaffe did too.  Johnny was at the corner waiting for Adrian who was nowhere to be seen.

- Vince was a little frustrated we didn't go straight to NPC from San Joaquin and I don't think Mitchell's response of how we improvised sat well with him.  Mitchell didn't care.  LOL

- We cruised CDM with me up front until just before we got on Avocado where Vin pulls up and ahead.  We pulled ahead on Avocado again and thankfully made the left green light back to PCH as we approached.

- Todd had the lead again with others behind, so after we got caught at a light, I pulled to the front to take the next pull down to Bayside and through the bike trail toward Back Bay.

- When Todd passed after we got on Back Bay, I was half expecting others to be on his wheel but instead I looked back and found they were on mine.  HAHAHA.  Todd had gapped me some at that point, but I was able to latch us back on before the gate.

- After Todd and I pulled out and rotated all the way to the Back, Vince took the front (and in my opinion was probably held out a little bit...cough, Jaffe, cough).  Vince managed to get us up to Adrian and Johnny, who came from out of nowhere, and then everyone else started to get pushed up to the front whether they liked it or not.

- After Todd's pull, I ended up taking the final pull to the end and my goal was to hopefully discourage a sprint pass by upping the intensity some.  That didn't really work to my advantage as it only made me pop just before the climb where Adrian (aka sprint queen) went by and got to the top first while all the others passed me too.  Mental note:  do not use this strategy during a real race.

- I was worked on Jamboree but managed to climb past a few but Todd, Vin and Vince in that order were not within my reach.

- You can tell there was going to be a sprint on Bison, but it's always a matter of how it's setup.  Todd's strategy was just to break away early.  Vince was thinking about it but didn't stay with Todd and opted to slow and set up just behind me after I passed.  Mitchell went by to start off the sprint for everyone else except Todd and I latched on and prepared to pass. Then Adrian started to go by and I had to pick it up just to be able to match his speed and he led us past Todd who said we looked like we were moving like bats out of hell.  Sprint queen won this one again.  Must be nice considering he only did half the route.  HAHAHA

Seriously, who needs to do the Boulevard race when we do 20 miles of pure agony locally?  Never a dull moment, Team BRCM.   Thanks!  Now to let my groin heal....

2 comments:

  1. "newcomer Johnny where he dropped at E. Peltason." Correction: dropped at Anteater...can I get at least 1/2 a mi credit? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...I'm only as good as the information I receive, Johnny. Keep coming out!

      Delete