Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Lunch Ride - Let the Lunchtime Madness Resume!

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/108061006

Attendees:  Vince, Todd, Mitchell, Vin, Jaffe and me

Highlights:
- Todd and I worked the first part of the ride taking us all out to the Bonita Canyon intersection at a pretty decent clip.  We started up the Shady rise together and Vince launches one of a few attacks before we got to the top, but we closed the gap quickly on that one.

- Everyone started working together on the Shady rise and subsequently on Turtle Rock taking some good pulls.

- Todd and I exchanged pulls after Campus, but Todd led us onto Starcrest where the rest of us lined up behind him.

- I tried to drop to the small ring as it got steeper and dropped my chain again.  Mitchell stopped to make sure I was okay (either that or laugh at me) while everyone continued up to the top with Todd taking top honors as expected.  Thankfully, they all waited at the top.

- I rolled by telling them to go and trying to stay with the group, but Vince passed me going down Ridgeline making another breakaway attempt.  We worked together and reeled him in on Shady heading up the hill toward Bonita Canyon.

- I was contemplating a sprint toward the bike trail, but I rolled up to the front and just tried to turn the heat up enough hoping no one would want to contest it.  Vince passed me just before the bike trail.

- Going up NPC, I tried to find a different tempo and passed Todd early on only to have him latch on with everyone else behind me.  When Todd passed, I latched on courtesy of Vince letting me in and fell into Todd's wicked tempo that he turns up when he wants to snap you off.  He did just that after the 73 underpass.  Vince passed me but I tried to stay close with Mitchell in tow.

- Todd checked up near the top after having gapped the rest of us and was soft pedaling on San Joaquin when Vince passed him to make yet another breakaway attempt.  Todd waited for me and we started to chase Vince down again closing the gap some on the horseshoe.

- Vince was elusive though and managed to regain a gap after getting back on San Joaquin.  we again started to close but ran out of real estate by the time we got to Spyglass.  I tried to sprint up to him on the climb, but lost momentum a little past half way where Todd and Mitchell made their way up to me.  Todd passed me and actually jumped on Vince's wheel originally only to pass him and have Vince latch on gapping Mitchell and I.  Thankfully, we caught them at the light at the bottom with vin there too (having skipped the horseshoe)

- Vince took off a little on San Miguel, but Todd was able to keep him honest and took the front followed by Vin.  I took the front after hoping to offer some payback for some of the pain they've been giving me earlier on.  We had to slow up on San Joaquin though due to some cars and a truck making a right.

- I started us off onto McArthur, but everyone there rotated to the front.  Vin was in front of me, so I waited for my turn and let him launch us once I saw that the light was green and going to hold for us.  I sprinted by and had Vince in tow with Todd having problems getting around the other guys to latch on right away.

- Vince took the front and again seemed to try another breakaway after we crossed Bonita canyon and I just hung on with the others just behind me.

- We got caught at the lights over the 73, but I was certain someone was going to want to sprint after the 2nd light, but I ended up sprinting off on my own.  That must look weird to strangers to see that I'd imagine.

- Almost 22 mph average for this route is crazy, but I guess that's what training is all about.  Thanks for coming out, gents!  Nice work out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment