Thursday, July 24, 2014

Riding with MC McGee Equals PAIN

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/170506230

Temperature:  HOT

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince and Vin

Highlights:

  • When Shannon comes out for a ride, the anxiety level among the others rises significantly...self included.  It didn't help that he stated "maximize the pain" in the body of the sentence from his invite.
  • Todd just missed the ride since he had to get back early...lucky him.
  • Everyone wore black as Shannon asked...except me.  That's why I ride a small yellow bus to work.
  • Vin took off during the beginning of the ride and immediately this guy came to mind:
  • There was an early jump on the bike path from Vin and Vince, but it wasn't long before we were all together with Shannon towing the group
  • I tried to help when I can, but it seemed that others were a little tentative initially
  • When we got on Back Bay though, everyone was working and doing their share in the rotation.
  • There was a little sprint to the end of the gate that had Shannon and Vince going for it.  I couldn't breathe.
  • We all made our way onto PCH eventually and continued to keep the pace up.  We rolled up and passed one guy who I thought may join, but he didn't.
  • Riding through Ocean and onto Poppy was pretty uneventful except we did have to stop before we got back on PCH due to a van blocking the road.  I paid the driver later for letting me rest.
  • On PCH, Shannon lit it up pretty good and I can honestly say that being in the draft offers little reprieve when trying to keep up.
  • The climb up PCH had Vince and Vin take off ahead initially, but we all ended up together after hitting some lights.  Shannon ended up taking the front and Vin did a great job staying with him while Vince and I slowed up some toward the end.  Vince was further back than me, but he caught and passed me before the light.  The things I do for the team.  ;)
  • We had a good run through Pelican and down NPC and on PCH and although some gaps formed early on, everyone managed to get back together.
  • As we made our way onto BB after a good run on PCH, the rotations began again.
  • Shannon took a mean ass pull at one point with me behind me, and trying to pass him to take a turn is almost impossible.  
  • Vince took off at one point to attempt a breakaway, but it was neutralized by Shannon who ended up taking the final pull on BB.  
  • Vince took off up the hill and I just managed to latch on behind me.  We worked together on the bike trail and eventually up to California with no funny business.
  • I took the lead up California expecting everyone would be behind me, but I think they probably just sat back and laughed as I struggled to keep a 17 mph avg up the damn thing.  
All in all, it was a great training day.  More miles than usual, but with my lack of mile this week, it was definitely warranted.  Thanks for the invite, Shannon, and thanks to all for the great workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment