Thursday, December 11, 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/228519715

It's been a while since I've ridden with Shannon and I've really missed it.  However, the description by others of the pain he doles out when he makes it out for a lunch ride is pretty accurate.  While he states he hadn't ridden in two weeks and that I shouldn't make excuses, my big fat belly begs to differ.  And of all days, I chose a hillier route...on a windy day...and with no other real support to help bridge the gap.  Okay, so Vin came out, but he's got a little Adrian-esque action going on with how he likes to burst up certain areas, but just like Adrian, the bursts are short-lived and overall ineffective.  HA HA

On top of being the monster that Shannon is, he also spent time warming up in the spin room.  To me, that would be like spinning up your tires to get heat in them ready for a drag race and racing a little girl on a tricycle after.  Vin would be that little girl.  I'd be the fat kid by the ice cream truck watching....

Anyway, I could give the play-by-play for the entire route, but here's the abbreviated version due to time constraints:
  • I led us out (big mistake, Indy)
  • Vin took over on Anteater and I dropped
  • Shannon dropped both of us before Bonita Canyon
  • We were fairly far apart on Bonita Canyon heading toward Spyglass
  • I caught Vin at light while Shannon seemingly soft pedaled ahead of us
  • We made the turn onto Spyglass just behind Shannon, but he left us again at will
  • I passed Vin going up despite the substantial weight difference between us
  • Vin passed me at the light going onto San Joaquin while Shannon was sitting waiting for the green that had just turned upon our approached
  • I passed Vin but Vin passed me back as did Shannon as expected
  • I stayed off the back while Shannon got away from Vin on NPC
  • I was too far behind to see which way Shannon went, but he did the same route as us and was just gone before Vin and I could descend
  • Vin led down NPC, but he fell behind on Pelican x1
  • I made the first and 2nd loop not seeing anyone ahead of behind me after that
  • I got on NPC and saw Shannon waiting as I neared San Joaquin.  I let him know I had to get back and kept going as he waited for Vin
  • It was fun heading down NPC with a tail wind, but I got stopped under the 73 and at the bottom.  
  • Vin and Shannon both passed me at the light, but I was able to latch on to Shannon while Vin surged again
  • We were all together as we made our way to Bison
  • I think everyone was getting ready for a final sprint, but we all got caught at the 2nd light over the 73.  
  • I tried taking off and just when I started to feel confident in my sprint, Shannon squashed all sense of manliness I had and passed me like I was standing still.  
Great ride today, gents.  While we didn't ride together too much, it was nice being out there with all of us representing BRCM black.  Thanks for coming out!


No comments:

Post a Comment