Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Lunch Ride - NPC Double BB - Teamwork? Yes, teamwork!

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/312425140

Attendees:  Shannon, Hiroshi, Vin and Mitchell

Highlights:

  • The clouds looked rather ominous outside but fortunately did not yield any precipitation during our ride. 
  • Small group today but when it comes to a great workout (and other things I tell my wife), size doesn't matter.  
  • I always tell myself before the ride how I don't want to start off up front.  50% of the time, I end up doing so anyway...like today.
  • I was relieved on Anteater, and as always, being relieved doesn't mean things get easier.  Hiroshi took the front at some point and spun up as though someone was serving Belgian beers on Bonita Canyon.  
  • There wasn't any real separation until we got onto NPC.  I've had some issues with climbing since last week, so I decided that it would be best to have others who I can realistically work with.  I stayed with Mitchell and Vin while the "racers" broke away ahead of us.  
  • Our chase group got lucky and managed to catch up to the breakaway group at a light on San Joaquin, and we all worked together to make our way toward Back Bay.
  • For the first Back Bay pass, we had some good rotations where everyone was taking turns keeping the pace up.  Even when I think some didn't want to be up front as long as they were, they were kept honest.
  • We saw Tim and Ron out there going the opposite direction with Tim representing BRCM white.  Woo hoo!
  • For the charge up the hill at the end, others duked it out but I was happy just to be in the group.  Okay, so I also didn't want to get dropped on Jamboree.  
  • During the climb, the group stayed tight and no one dropped.  I thought about it though....
  • After the climb, Shannon's chain dropped and he asked the rest of us to go on.  We all regrouped at the following light though. 
  • Once the light turned green, Vin, Mitchell and I formed a breakaway group (aka the rabbits), possibly because of another mechanical, but we took off based on previous instructions.  
  • Going through Back Bay, the 3 of us worked together as I knew if we didn't, we would likely get caught.  It's like a horror movie when you think at any moment, the monster is going to grab the helpless victim.  Obviously, we were the helpless victims.  Fortunately, our combined efforts kept us from being caught.  Nice work, guys!
  • On the climb up to Eastbluff, I took the opportunity to give Vin and Mitchell someone to chase.  Me.  I kept looking back expecting to catch me as well, but I was fortunate to keep them off all the way to California.  They met me at the bottom soon after I arrived.
  • The climb up California went without incident, but I never want to believe that it will go that way.  It's a better bet to expect chaos with this crew.
  • The chase crew came up behind us not long after and also reportedly had a great workout as well chasing us down.
Another good team trainer in the books, gents!  Thanks for coming out!

No comments:

Post a Comment