Tuesday, December 6, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Turtle Rock Shady Ridgeline Summit Bonita Cyn Condo

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2599072

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133087133

First, thanks to David for honoring the coveted Sandy today.  The list of recipients is diminishing.

Shannon came to the corner with his aero bars installed, so I just knew it was going to be one of those days.  And with Todd inquiring about them, I can see these rides getting more and more painful in the next couple weeks.

Shannon led us out originally, and Jeremy pretty much held his wheel all the way to Anteater.  SMH.  Guys, if you won't take a turn up front, no worries, but I think we covered before how it's probably better not to sit behind the guy up front.  Now you know.

Vince and I came around on Anteater, and decided to help our brother out.  On my pull after the stop sign, Vin didn't take the front but launched an all out attack.  Being that Hiroshi consider me Vin's "rival," it was my duty to return the favor.  Can you spell "BAM?"  He chuckled after I passed him because he never saw me coming.  Now he knows.

Since Vin obviously had a lot of extra energy, he led us up on Culver toward campus while I held his wheel to let him get it out of his system.  HA HA.  I did finally come around at one point as did Vince, Todd and Shannon (and maybe Adrian).

After we got on Campus and onto Turtle Rock, the pace picked up and the rotations where then limited to the five of us.  I think most everyone was able to stay on all the way up to Sunnyhill, but as the pace picked up on Shady, there was definitely some attrition.  I'm not sure how I got the KOM on there (Todd hasn't uploaded at the time of this writing) but Vince and Todd finished ahead of me with a gap.  I was in the back in the beginning though, so....   In any case, the pace was high going up obviously.  Nice to see Adrian get a good time too, but did anyone see him up front at any time on this hill?  LOL.

I made the lost ground up on Vince and Todd on the downhill, so we were all together as we made our way on and off the bike trails.  A few had caught up as well as we made our way toward the 405.  On the series of turn before going parallel to the freeway, I was making my way toward the front (in part due to momentum) and had gotten just beside Vince with Todd up front.  When Todd called out there was a lady in a stroller on the opposite side, I didn't have too much room to maneuver so I locked up my rear wheel a couple times trying to stop going sideways at some point hoping Todd wouldn't turn towards me.  Fortunately, I managed to stay upright, but I'll definitely say it was my bad since it was just not an ideal time to be passing when I did. If that warrants a Sandy, I'm cool with it.  I could also be rabbit for the next ride instead.  Believe me...it's equivalent.

As we made our way toward the bridge, no one was eager to do any sprinting and people just rotated to keep the pace up with Shannon doing so up to the bridge.  As we got by University, Shannon had taken off for a bit and none of us were too eager to give chase or try to hang on.  Fortunately, we caught him at the light to cross and go up Ridgeline.

Shannon being the trooper still led us up Ridgeline.  As we came onto the first pitch, I took over and got us over the 2nd one as well.  Todd and Vince made their way past after where I didn't have anything left to jump on, but I did catch Shannon's wheel as he did where we ended up catching up to them right after turning onto Turtle Rock.  I also noticed Jeremy was right behind us, so he came along as well.

On Shady, 4 of us rotated as we went up and over and the hill.  I wasn't about to sprint on this section either, but when Shannon decided to break off, I tried to catch him and he just wasn't having any of that business and got to the bike trail first.  I really need to get a TACX trainer.

As we made our way onto Bonita Canyon, Jeremy was still with us but apologized for not taking any pulls.  Not a problem, young man...it's impressive enough he didn't fall victim to the attrition.  The 5 of us stayed together as we made our way to Summit.  Vince led us up originally followed by Todd, and I tried to pass Todd but could only hold on until it flattened out a little.  He and Vince both broke off at this point, and Shannon passed me immediately after.  Jeremy may have been a little more hesitant, but he too passed me as well.  I was hoping to sprint the final section past him, but he stood up as well and got to the top just behind Shannon.  I wouldn't catch up to these guys until the left turn onto Bonita Canyon.  Of course, it turned green when I arrived there so I had to take the initial pull.  Damn.  HA HA

On Bonita Canyon, we were contemplating whether we hit the Condo or stay on McArthur, which was what was mapped originally.  Todd finally decided we would do the Condo, so you can kind of see everyone not pushing super hard after.  We just caught the light to cross McArthur where Todd was up front, but I thought I 'd go ahead and lead us toward the condo for a change and took the front.

After we got to the top of Ford, Vince takes off shortly followed by Todd and Shannon just gets ahead of me.  The group had splintered at this point, so no one was really in anyone's draft going toward the condo.  Vince  rounded the corner first shortly followed by Todd both taking a tighter line while Shannon and I both opted to take a wider line to come in tight on Jamboree.  I think Jeremy had a tighter line as well just off the back behind me.

Shannon rounded the corner ahead of me, but I got up to him pretty quickly given the pace I had.  He jumped on behind me, and we were in KOM mode making our way past Todd and Vince at a pretty good clip.  As we neared the crest, Shannon came around me and started hammering.  I tried to jump on, but it was just too much.  If the light was green, he definitely would have taken top honors given he reached 32 mph on here, but because it was red, had to just move in with me.  Cool...a roommate.

On Bison, Vince came flying by the both of us but we were all caught at the light to cross McArthur...thankfully.  I was still trying to recover from Jamboree.  Once the light turned green, both Vince and Todd took off for the final sprint to California (I think Vince got their first) and all I could do was just watch from off the back.  I did manage to get my Garmin from 20.8 to 20.9 average, which I thought was cool, but of course, Strava knocked it back down to 20.8.   Hence, the GC link.  HA HA

I got cooked on today's ride.  Thanks, guys!  I predict SC is going to be "ridiculous."

No comments:

Post a Comment