Friday, December 2, 2011

BRCM Morning Trainer - Shady 133 PCH NPC McArthur Jamboree Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2537458 (Got my 500 back...yippee!)

I thought it would just be Todd and me, but it was nice to see Vince and Galen come out also and join us for a morning pain fest.  We got going just a little after 6:30 and the temperature was sub 50 still.  The sun was starting to peek out though, so it warmed up to a toasty 55 degrees by the end of the ride.  Todd and Galen opted not to have leg warmers and shorty gloves only.  Studs.

Our initial pace going out was pretty chill but that lasted until we got to E. Peltason...ha ha.  Galen, Todd and I kept the pace up, but Vince must have been recovering from what I heard was some brutal cross training in the last few days and stayed in the back.

Going across Bonita Canyon toward Shady, I led us out originally but Galen passed and created a little gap where Todd said he'd close it so I jumped behind him.  Todd must have reconsidered doing so since Galen kept ahead of us for some time at a pretty mean pace, but I finally jumped up to help Todd reel him back in.  No fun.

When we went up the Shady bike trail, we took turns rotating and Todd led us to the top followed by Galen and me.  Vince was still trying to get the blood circulating, so we waited at the top and regrouped.

We all stayed together and rotated as we made our way to the 133, but before we got to the top, I felt I was bouncing on my stem in the rear where I knew I had gotten a flat.  After trying an inner tube with a stem too short for my 25mm rear wheels (thanks to my wife...HA HA...inside joke) and failing to inflate it, I had to drop in the other spare tube which had a 60mm stem.  I felt rushed trying to get the 2nd tube in that I think I got a good 80 PSI of CO2 in there only...good enough.  Thankfully, the guys waited for me.

As we headed down the other side of the 133, everyone was taking turns so we averaged over 31 mph per hour for a few miles.  We still kept the pace up on PCH, although admittedly, I think I got a little winded earlier and I probably could have used a drink but was too afraid to do so given the pace.  I did take some turns here and there, but when I found out we were going up NPC (instead of Back Bay), I was a little nervous.

Vince conceded that he wasn't going to try and hang up NPC, so the three of us made our way up at a pretty decent clip.  Galen led the way, but Todd eventually got beside him and they started riding up together.  Before midway, I dropped off their pace and went into slight survival mode.  Then, a guy passes me on a cyclocross bike.  Wow.  I jumped on his rear wheel for a while and he did pull me closer to Todd and Galen, but I didn't have enough to hold on for the rest of the hill.  He passed Galen also, but when he got to Todd, Todd wouldn't have any of it (BAM) and broke away.  Todd was pretty happy with this feat...until we pointed out how the guy was on a cyclocross bike.  Then, not as much.

Fortunately, I caught both Galen and Todd at the light at Ridge Park, and I led us down the other side of NPC.  It was pretty hairy with the morning commuters, one of which wouldn't respect Todd's space, but we still managed to make it down safely.  Vince would catch us at the light on McArthur, so he was safe as well.

We exchanged some pulls on Bonita Canyon, but Todd led us up on Ford as we made our way to "Rich's Condo."  Vince didn't opt to come with us here, but I knew Todd and Galen were going to give it a good run. I dropped off the back a little as we neared Jamboree just to swing out wide on Ford to come in tight on Jamboree.  We all had to check up a little though based on some water on the road as well as the cars that were about to come through on the green behind us.

After rounding the corner, Galen took off and got a sizable gap ahead of Todd and I.  I jumped into a gear I thought I could hold for a while, and made my way past LTJ and gave chase to Galen.  I wasn't sure I was going to catch him, but he lost a little steam near the end of the rise where I was able to get by.  I did have to drop down to gears I didn't think would let me beat my record up here, but I kept going nonetheless.  23 mph average was good enough for today.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful but still with a solid pace.  In the end, the average pace for the whole route was 21.7 mph.  Not too shabby.  We know Todd and Vince are legit, but seeing Galen continue to make gains, I'd have to agree with Verm's assessment from last Wednesday...this dude is definitely legit too.

Thanks for coming out, gents!  Spin class at lunch?  I'm sick and need serious psychological attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment