Friday, December 9, 2011

BRCM Morning Trainer - Irvine CDM Newport Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2633597

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133524987

4 BAM members came out to play this morning in the bitter cold.  PV set the time to depart at 7 a.m., but upon arrival, he was still getting ready. HA HA.  Shannon had donned the cold weather gear from head to toe, and when we first started made me wish I had more than a jersey with baselayer, arm warmers and leggings.  Se la vie.

The pace in the beginning was a good warm-up pace, but I didn't want to take the front for a bit for a couple reasons:  1) I was sooo cold, and 2) I forgot my water bottles at home and had to use the one in my office with water only.  I was somewhat in preservation mode.  I finally took the front and started rotating in right before the Bonita Canyon intersection and up as we made our way toward Shady.

It was nice how everyone was working together harmoniously taking turns up front when they could, and this was pretty much throughout the entire ride.  I appreciated getting pulled initially, so I did take the front when I could as well.  Shannon took the lead as we made our way up the bike trail to the top and powered it up pretty good causing some separation, but we were all together again as we rode down toward the bridge that went across the 405.

We made our way up toward E. Irvine and did the Orchard Hill loop (that was my first time up it).  PV mentioned a hill on it, but I wasn't sure where...until he attacked it.  He passed me, but I think I passed him before the top.  Nonetheless, his Strava time was better than mine and we all know it's all about Strava.

The two of us got ahead of the others, but we were together once back on Portola.  Once there, we hear a honk and it was Carla (Eddie's wife) driving by probably after dropping kids off at school.  I wonder if she was thinking "hey, why isn't Eddie riding today?"

The pace down the Peter's canyon bike trail was pretty fast, and a little scary considering there were some wet patches here and there.  We got through incident free and had some good rotations going down toward Harvard.

The pace continued to be high on Harvard and also on the bike trail after where at one point, we happen to see a guy with panniers on his bike.  Lo and behold, it was the mystical Noah...mystical because he's hardly ever seen.  He jumped in our draft on his commuter, but not before I could go by and goose him.

We ran a good pace all the way down through Back Bay onto PCH.  On PCH, we went through CDM instead of Ocean where it was a little hairy, especially with some senior citizen getting ready to open her door in front of us...until Shannon scolded her to watch out.  HA HA.  After CDM, I got up to the front and found a pretty good cadence and was able to stroke out a good pace all the way to NPC.   The average speed showing on my Garmin here was 21.4, I believe.

At the light, Shannon mentioned regrouping at San Joaquin, but PV was wanting to do a Strava section from PCH to Bonita Canyon.  I ride with Shannon more so....  When the light turned green, I still felt good after PCH so I got into a nice rhythm all the way to the top while off the seat and on the drops.  The only thing that really tired much in doing so was my arms from holding my fat ass up.  HA HA.  I hit the 2nd Ridgeline light and subsequently the Vista Ridge light.   PV caught and passed me here as the light turned green, and I thought he said we should just go to the light (meaning San Joaquin) so I chased him down and passed him to this intersection as well.  Of course, he kept going based on his original plans while I waited for Shannon and Gary.  I looked at my Garmin here as well, and NPC had dropped the average down to 20.3.

Once we regrouped, we took turns rotating as we made our way down toward Bonita Canyon to an awaiting PV.  Since we hit the green light at the bottom, I decided I'd take the opportunity to try to bring up our average to 21 again, so I just took off on my own little break away.  After hitting a second light once on McArthur, the guys caught me here and PV took the lead after.  I took advantage of the break, but just before the 73, I opened it up and just let it all out there where my Garmin did show a 20.9 average at the end. Close!  Move average, per Garmin Connect, was at 21 though.  Damn Strava brought it down back to 20.7. Bah.

Considering how it was cold and took a while to warm up, we actually probably averaged more along the lines of 22 mph if you strip the first few miles off.  Needless to say, it was damn good training ride.  Super strong efforts from all those who came out today.  Looking good, team BRCM!  PV, great effort considering it was Shannon's Trek bike he was on out there.

Thanks for letting me come out and ride with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment