Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 Stagecoach TTT Race Report

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/3349473

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/141699672

After weeks of electronic silence to limit the visibility of our training progress and the techniques we practiced (or lack thereof), it's nice to be back with good news:  Team BRCM successfully defended the title for the 2012 StageCoach TTT!  Both teams kicked ass and got the job done.  Now onto the race report and the ride....

A long time ago, I went to Army boot camp and had to walk through a gas chamber without a mask where I thought that was the most horrific experience of my life.  After making it out of there, I was equally elated at the fact that I did it and it was done.  I think today's race (for me anyway) was equally horrific and finishing it left me equally elated. 

We all met the night before and stayed at our usual Ayers Inn in Alpine.  Of course, upon my arrival my neurosis got the best of me where Noah's lack of upkeep for his Cervelo had me cleaning it immediately after unloading all our stuff from Adrian's truck.  It's crazy how such a new bike can have so much dirt on it in so little miles.  Everyone congregated in our while I did this so we could figure on a place to eat.  I also ended up cleaning Todd's bike as well since I figured if we didn't win, we'd at least look sexy.  We eventually found a place to eat where the basis was on how attractive the women who wrote the reviews looked.  HA HA.  The funnier part was the fact that it was probably the best place we've ever eaten in the area.  Additionally, the Calzones are not the only big things we saw over there.  Ahem.

We got out pretty much on time in the morning and made our way to Ocotillo where we could feel the winds blowing Adrian's truck around.  Fortunately, by the time we arrived there, the winds were more calm but they were still present unlike what the forecast suggested.  The temperature was in the low 50's though, which was a plus given we expected a start somewhere in the 40's.  While not warm, there were some who opted to not wear arm and/or leg warmers and short gloves.  I only opted for the short gloves, but near the mile 50 SAG, my hands were freezing!

Team B (Verm, Adrian, Galen and PV) were setup to go ahead of us for the TTT but as they were getting ready to go, they realized Verm didn't have his wristbands on where this was what they would stamp that you on at the mile 50 turnaround point.  Thus, we ended up going ahead of them.  Other teams had gone out before us though and I was never really sure if we concluded what would be optimal for us...chasing or being chased. 

Since there were teams as well as some other riders who took off ahead of us, it definitely felt like we were in chase mode in the beginning.  Vince was prepared for it given he had brought a trainer to warm up, but I felt like my legs were getting pretty cooked early on.  To boot, I had ended up behind Shannon in the beginning and wasn't sure how the hell I'd be able to keep his pace.  Since he was feeling pretty good where he stated he could hold the pace for a while, we all relegated ourselves to riding behind him to let the Irishman pull as long as he felt good.  I think in his pulls, we missed some cues from him to take a turn but the reality was, it just took some time to get by him. 

On the first descent, Vince took over and led the group down the curvy road.  We were definitely moving down that twisty road at a pretty good clip so it was hard to stay together throughout.  However, we never got too strung out and regrouped easily near the bottom and resumed our paceline without skipping a beat.  

We caught and passed a few teams on our way including a couple of Descender teams and another team with an Herbalife kit.  Now while we thought we had passed and gapped these teams pretty good, we were actually surprised to see a team (the ones with the Herbalife kit) making some ground on us.  Fortunately, our team didn't lose their heads where they maintained a steady pace nonetheless.  Now they actually did start to try and make their way past me (I was at the back at the time), but I believe we hit an ascent just as they were trying to pass where they ended up falling off again. 

On the first real ascent (over 8-9% grade) around the 31st mile or so, I was actually surprised that I ran out of gears, so to speak, where I realized "spinning" up the hill wasn't going to be an option given I only had an 11-25 in the back.  I still ended up climbing seated and just cranked as hard as I could on the lowest gear but worried that doing so for the rest of the climbs would just chew up my legs.  On the next ascent as we headed toward the 37  mile SAG, I had to stand and climb to find my rhythm where Vince thought I may have just been charging the hill.  After explaining how I had to find my tempo, I think Todd said he asked why I don't I find my tempo on the flats too.  HA HA.  In the end, we all managed to crest together on every hill today, so everything worked out perfectly. 

After getting past the 37 mile SAG and the last of the hill, we started hammering down the hill.  I think at one point when Todd was up front, Shannon yelled from behind us that we needed to speed it up...so we did.  We continued to push it as we made our way to the turnaround point where we saw an "unusual" number of Descenders making their way back before getting the 50 mile SAG.  Coincidentally, our second team saw it too as they weren't too far behind us as well. 

Anyway, we got to the 50 mile SAG and after getting stamped and getting some water, we were off again.  Todd was first to get back on the road, then me followed by Vince.   The three of us rode together for a bit wondering where Shannon was where Todd eventually was convinced there was time to pee.  Before he could though, Shannon went flying by him and caught Vince then me and Todd had to work his way back to us while on the aeros.  It did take a little convincing to slow down enough for him to latch back on but we got it done and were off at full pace once again. 

We were taking turns as best as we could and made our way back up the hill toward the highest point in the ride.  Vince tore off down the descent again, which was fun to follow, but got a little separated.  We regrouped shortly after though and were just going for it at this point.  For 20 miles, we averaged a minimum of over 24 miles per hour but would bounce around between 26-33 mph averages. 

Due to some miscommunication just before the final hill, Shannon got a little ahead of us but we all climbed it pretty close to him where we ended up regrouping about 3/4 of the way.  LTJ was feeling good on this climb and subsequently and was helping to push us with yells of encouragement.  Shannon was trying to get us to do faster rotations on the way down, but his pulls were so hard to match that we all just did what we could to push on. 

Once we could see the Descenders ahead of us as we neared the finished, it was like sharks smelling blood in the water.  The guys were amped!  Vince and Shannon got around and were just going for it and Todd and I got a little separated.  Since Todd was #3, my time didn't really matter at that point so I saw no reason to try to catch up.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  The stomach cramp (similarly to the one you would get as child from when your mother told you not to swim/run right after eating and you would anyway) I had from pushing so hard in the last 15 miles of the ride had nothing to do with it.  HA HA  We all ended up officially finishing in the 4:38's beating last year's record and once again taking down the other teams. 

Our 2nd team also had a great finish with Verm, Galen and PV finishing it out for their group as the first 3.  Considering that neither Galen nor Verm ever did this ride/route, Adrian having stomach issues but still helping with some strong pulls, and Galen getting a flat (per PV requiring 6 minutes to fix), they still got it done in the low 4:50's.  Super impressive! 

Noah and Gary did the ride together, but Gary dropped Noah on the first downhill where it took Noah 2 hours to catch back up to him.  They were together as we passed them on the way back cheering us on and seemingly having a good old time in contrast...something we all admittedly envied subsequently. Gary had gotten a flat as well on this ride, but with the road conditions at some part the way they are, it's a wonder how more of us didn't also. 

Now finishing the race and defending the BRCM team name was definitely a great thing to have participated in, but to me, the post ride festivities always tops the cake.  Along with enough beer selection to make BevMo nervous, we also had an assortment of other goodies including my wife's peanut butter chews...something that needs to be on her checklist for the next ride.  We were also treated to fresh guacamole that Noah sat and made for us as well.  I mean, seriously, this is just one other reason Noah coming to these events with us makes it so ridiculously entertaining.  Who does that?

Now that this race is over, as is my back, I guess it's time to make up a list of the other events to attend this year.  With 2012 starting out this good, I can only imagine more good things to come for our team.  Along with centuries, we have crits, the Bulldog Race, and hopefully other events that continue to show others what BAM is really about.  Go Team BRCM!

1 comment:

  1. Great ride, great beer, great food and great friends! Excellent job guys!

    ReplyDelete