Monday, January 16, 2012

Shannon's Unabridged 2012 Stagecoach TTT Race Report

Having heard reports of multiple teams training hard to go after us this year Broadcom put in some ridiculous training to be ready.  I think every weekend for the past month involved century rides that included non-stop repeats, with simulated rotations, and minimal stops to model the conditions.  This was a major pain in the ass, certainly less enjoyable than usual.

It was quite a relief when the day of actually arrived.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a better nights sleep, I don’t know how long Gary was shaking me before I came to.  After rallying at the ‘shop’, for some that meant coffee shop others donut shop, in any case everyone was rolling for Ocotillo from Alpine around 5am.

The winds were high and blowing us around enroute, but once arriving things calmed down; it was warm, and looked to be the best conditions we’d seen there.  My prayers for cloud cover had been answered, after a little more Tebowing for a clean run we were ready.

Last year the first section was tough, we weren’t warmed up, it was cold, and it is a long steady climb.  This year Vince had his trainer, weather was better, and we knew what to expect.  Still, I was going to fast and Rich suggested we dial it back.  After telling him I could hold the pace all day and to pick it up, I realize maybe he was right and tried to slow things down (sorry!).  We got the power back in range, and made our way to the first decent.

Vince was carving and Rich wasn’t far behind, I think Todd and I were not so sure of the shaded corners.  By the bottom we were back together though.  And, ready to slug our way across the desert, some forty miles and twenty-five hundred feet of climbing.

Rotations were going like clock work, we were passing some other teams, and it was looking like things were going to workout alright.   Wanting a bite to eat, went for a pre-opened waffle, bam it hit the road.  Hmmn, tough eating at speed.

Initially we’d throw out an elbow to indicate ‘relief please’, soon enough we had to really talk and double check what was going on.  Still, it was hard to communicate, sometimes, when to take a pull.  Vince seemed to be going real strong so he was out front for some long times.  I knew he would be a superstar so, while feeling bad, knew it was the only way.

Aside from the ‘time to eat’, ‘on your left’, ‘rock’, comments there were occasional bursts of enthusiasm belted out, not that I couldn’t comprehend.  I was thinking of mentioning if there was going to be any of that kind of stuff to use the English language, but let it go, LOL.  It is surprisingly hard to communicate while on the bikes.

At the first climb I think we were all feeling a bit relieved, just to get out of the saddle.  Rich and I both hit granny gear and then were thinking, WTF, was it actually that steep or were we cooked?  At least that’s what I was thinking.  Soon enough he said thathe wanted to find his 'tempo', Rich speak for ‘see ya!’  But, he stayed close and we got up it quickly enough, thankfully.  Later on when Vince heard that statement he'd had it and told him to find his tempo out front!  Nice (which he did, the trooper that he is).

Near mile thirty-eight it starts to pitch down, I certainly was looking forward to that.  I’d had some double cramps (both thighs) a few miles earlier so was hesitant, but when the power was sub standard I couldn’t hold back and suggested we really move out.  After saying that I just kept fantasizing the next landmark would appear, our right turn stop sign.  It took what seemed like forever for it to come, with temps dropping and dropping, cramps on the verge, it got rough.  Another team was behind us and we didn’t want to end up waiting for them at the SAG so had to tempo up even more.

I’m not sure what was going on near the SAG, we saw some other teams, who knows what they were doing.  I certainly had other things on my mind.  At the SAG we got stamped by the officials, grabbed some gallon jugs, and tried to get going.  I had to get something to quiet the cramps, and had a vial of items; ended up with a handful of caffeine and endurolytes, got as many in my mouth as I could, chugged them, grabbed as many of the ones that missed my mouth off the ground as I could, realized the guys were gone, pushed some Herbalife out of the way, and stuffed a Bonkbar in as I rolled out.

Todd was pulled off taking care of some business when I finally reached speed, I would have said something but was having trouble breathing due to a full mouth.  Soon enough we were together and jamming down a small hill, overcooking it the cramps came back.  Vince, I could tell, was wondering what was up.  I couldn’t say much besides ‘gap’ and luckily Rich went into full sprint mode and pulled me back.  I was hoping the supplements would kick in, but had to go gingerly for some time, dreading the next climb.

Going up it Todd and I were jumping around trying to dodge traffic and the cactus on the road, knowing any encounter with one of those and the ride would get a lot more difficult.  Later we found out how lucky we were, the other two groups both had to deal with flats.  Somehow we got through again this year without incident.

After that hill it was all down, aside from one rise.  I was checking the clock and thought we were behind schedule, not sure exactly.  When the miles started to really roll off I realized we still had a shot.  It was a good opportunity to see what we could do, I figured it was ours to lose.

About then, I’d noticed Todd was feeling good (it’s funny how the flow seems to go from one person to the next throughout the ride).  But, him  hitting on all cylinders I was reassured.  Each time I’d go as hard as I dared out front knowing I’d have to jump on the tail, cramp or no cramp.  Also, I knew if I wanted to go hard I’d better hold it for a while or everyone would just be getting yanked around.

Once we were across to the base of the final climb out I wanted to go for one last pull, due to some bad timing as soon as I took off all I could hear was swearing behind me.  Ha!  Todd expected smooth sailing while taking in some shot blocks.  No big deal, a bit of rest before the climb never hurts.

Up and out.  We got on top of the hill, shortened up the rotations and caught sight of some Decender rabbits.   It was pretty freaking incredible the ground we made on them, not having seen them all day, then pulling out all the stops with the finish line nearly in sight.

The pace got hot.  It was hard to tell how everyone was doing, I was just trying not to crash in the final mile or two.  The road was rough enough that dropping into the tri bars was risky.  Oh well, we had another team ahead and we were going against the clock. 

Stepping onto the timing mat, Vince was beside me, with Todd and Rich rolling up fast.  I knew, looking at the faces around us and tapping my Garmin that we had probably got what we came for, a victory and new team record.  

No comments:

Post a Comment