Saturday, March 2, 2013

BRCM Trio - BRCM to Queen Mary and OAB

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/42883191

Finally...a chance to ride early in the morning and not have to wear a base layer, arm warmers, or anything other than just the kit.   Okay, so maybe it was a little chilly heading down California having taken off from Bldg 11, but by the time we got down to the bike trail, it was all good.

And speaking of the kit, I figured that the new white for 2013 would be what everyone would wear on a team outing.  I figured wrong.  Galen wore red, Vince wore black, and I was the only one who wore white.  We were definitely a mixture of sorts in this regard, but inside we all represented the same...BAM!



Vince rode over to BRCM from home for a warm-up, and I was glad because he mentioned he may meet us en route.  I was thinking that Galen would punish me (because he's like that) if we were alone, so Vince came to my rescue.  Ironically though, even though we were suppose to go out on a warm up pace, I probably helped kick up the pace in the beginning mostly because I was just anxious to be back on the bike after missing Thursday.  Plus, I figured with an expected 50 miles, I really needed to work harder today and burn off the extra food I ate the night before.  Even with it being really busy on Back Bay, we still averaged 25+ mph. 

When we got on PCH, we were working good together keeping the pace making our way past people as usual.  One guy in an Audi kit ended up joining us, but only sat in the draft for several miles.  He did apologize for not taking any pulls, but he was on his way to GMR via the LA bike trail for a 150 mile trainer today.  We thought it was impressive that he was doing 150 AND keeping up with us in the draft, but then hearing he was going to GMR...Wow!

Once we got on the side streets and onto the bike trail that headed toward Queen Mary, we did back it down a notch.  There was definitely some good scenery out there other than a big boat, so slowing down was a necessity. 

We took a break and hung out a bit after that fast run out, and had a good warm up pace led by Vince as we started to head back.  Galen and I were waiting until we got to or close to PCH again before working again because it was just not worth it until then...too many people.  I still liked the route though.

Once on PCH, it was time to work.  However, I didn't feel as strong as when we headed out, but thank goodness Vince and Galen saved some.  I was still working the rotations with them, but they both were taking some good strong pulls.  Once we got to Huntington Beach, Vince opted to play rabbit and broke off from us at a light.  Of course, this got Galen going and he was just laying it down making it impossible to get past him. I waited for him to slow down enough for me to pass, but he never seemed to run out of power.  Cuh-razy! 

We almost caught Vince at one light, but he managed to elude us and make it back to SART before we could get up to him.  We probably were a little more respectful of traffic lights though. :)  Good job, Vince!

I talked to Galen after and I think we agreed to slow it down a little, but I think that went in one ear and out the other.  He was in the zone and just worked most of the way back.  I took a pity pull here and there, but why take away from his workout if he's not slowing down, right?  If he didn't drop his chain on the way up to the top of Back Bay, I probably would't have gotten the short breather. 

I was completely done by the time we were climbing California.  Even spinning up hurt.  By the end, my legs were definitely toast.  55 miles at 22.2 mph average pretty much sums up why, especially when you consider we soft-pedaled in Long Beach meaning that our true moving average was probably 23+. 

Here I thought 1 gel would be enough today given the mileage, but I was sorely mistaken.  Poor calculation considering the company I kept.  Awesome workout today, gents! 








No comments:

Post a Comment