Saturday, March 16, 2013

Team BRCM - BWR Hill Trainer 2 - Santiago and his 7 Ugly Sisters

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/44711790

If I were to try and describe climbing prowess, it would definitely include the names of the guys who attended this ride.  Shannon, Noah, Galen and Todd epitomize our team's hill blazers today, so WTF am I doing going out on a ride like today's with them?  This question plagued me from the beginning of the ride to the end.

We met at BJ's in Irvine and Noah's friends Brad and Kevin joined us since they too were suckered into doing the BWR.  Noah, please have Kevin bring a doctor's note on our next training ride...his cough sounds horrible!  It was a rather cool start (temperature-wise) as we made our way to the canyon, and once we started going up dump, fog set in and it was rather soupy as we made our way through the canyons.  The fog, along with a quick flat repair for Galen, slowed us up a bit as we tried to make our way to Highland hoping to meet Vince, but it began to clear up once we got to the top of the hill just before Cook's.  By the way, it was nice climbing the hill before Cook's in the fog...I never even knew we were climbing it until we got to the top.

Once we got to the top, Shannon gave the order to pick up the pace as we made our way down El Toro towards Marguerite.  Galen and Todd were all over it, and the three of them led us through Marguerite, Los Alisos, and ultimately on Alicia to the first and probably least intimidating sister...Highlands.

Todd started up the hill and gapped the rest of us early, but we rolled up on him and as a pack made our way to the top in a pretty tight group.  When we rolled down toward Pacific Island, Todd once again took the front and started us off.  This, however, is where I think I was responsible for changing the rest of the ride.  Let me explain....

Having taken it somewhat easy through the canyon (as well as skipping my cardio yesterday and actually eating lunch instead...wha?), I had a bit of anxiety that I wanted to work through so I opted to up the pace some on this hill.  I found a good rhythm and felt pretty good on my R5, so I ended up in front and gapping the rest of the guys.  Based on my first paragraph above, I never believed it would hold and/or if it did, it would be by the graces of those who allowed me to do so.  I made it to the top alone and the plan was to drop down the other side and come back up.  Without stopping, I went ahead and descended.  After making the u-turn, I started climbing and saw the rest of the guys coming down not too far behind me.  I figured on this climb, they would catch me.  I looked back a few times just to see if someone was coming, and it was only near the top that I saw a person (I didn't know who) making his way up to me.  Fortunately, it was close enough to the top where I was able to spin up to keep him off and after stopping at the top by the sidewalk, I realized it was Shannon since he waited at the cul-de-sac hoping to re-group.  When Todd and Galen came up behind him, I heard them say to go on, so I started to roll off.  Todd caught me on the descent, and seemingly was on a mission from that point on. Shannon and Galen also came up behind us, and when we got down to Alicia, they just kept on going.  Umm...what about Noah, Kevin and Brad?  Heck, I don't think they even slowed down to see where I was.  HA HA.  At this point, I guess the team ride part of the training was over.  :)

I figured I better start pedaling and try to catch up to the guys ahead of me mostly because they were wearing the same kit I was.  It would look cooler.  I was fortunate that they got caught at a light at the base of Pacific Island as this was where I was able to regroup with them.  It was nice to know I'd be going up Nyes with some people just in case I fell over on the first part of that hill.

Todd led us over to Nyes and despite it being the most intimidating hill for me, they were rolling towards it at a pace that would probably make lesser riders drop.  Once we started climbing it, Todd led us on it and this time had a take-no-prisoners attitude pulling away from the rest of us early on and for the rest of the hill.  Galen followed slightly behind while Shannon and I made our way up it together for the most part not too far behind.

Todd opted to break at the top as did Galen, and I waited while Shannon went ahead to descend down Summit to turn around and make his way back.  Todd, Galen and I contemplated on which way to descent and ultimately decided to head down Nyes.  This was after Noah had arrived just behind us.  Noah opted to wait for Brad (Kevin went home and rightfully so), so off we went.  We did see Brad on the way down, and this was pretty much a recurring pattern for the remaining sisters.

Todd, Galen and I went up Bluebird then Summit and Todd asserted his dominance on this hill as well.  When we got up to the neighborhood, Galen, who was behind Todd, lost sight of him and he and I both weren't sure which direction to head from there.  We opted to turn left and headed toward the road the led to the Nyes park again and luckily, this was where we met Shannon.

The three of us headed toward Thalia and waved at Noah and Brad on the Summit descent.  Once we got on Thalia, we settled into a pace Shannon set and climbed the hill together.  Galen opted to break rank and broke off while Shannon and I stayed together for the whole way up.  Man, these hills are long!  We did see Todd near the top, and the four of us were able to start the last ugly sister together...Park.

Todd and Galen got a jump on the hill and after having had a gel, I felt pretty good where I started to climb past Shannon to see if I could make my way toward the other guys.  Well, that good feeling I had went away pretty quick and Park just seemed to go on forever where eventually, Shannon made his way past me and I was just hoping to survive the rest of the hill.  I was able to see them as they made the left turn toward the park at the top, so I don't think I was too far back from the rest of them.  Noah rolled up not too long after I did, so he definitely was making good time on the hills.

Noah took off on the descent ahead of us since he figured we'd catch him on the descent.  Ironically, it wasn't until the 133 that Todd and Galen saw him, so I'm starting to think he's not as slow on the descents as he claims to be.  Shannon and I got caught behind a couple riders and then a minivan on the descent, so we were not able catch up to Todd and Galen when they descended just ahead of us.  We did opt to take that steep hill down as a shortcut to the 133, so we got ahead of Todd and Galen temporarily.

Shannon caught  a light and was ahead of the three of us, but had pulled over to wait and regroup only to have Todd and Galen pass him at a pace that was probably a little too hot for Shannon to jump on.  With Todd and Galen seemingly willing to work together to make their way back, I opted to do the same and waited for Shannon who jumped on and then started taking turns with me.  We caught a few lights on the 133 making it impossible to catch up to the other guys, but we did work together making our way past other riders on the 133.  When we got to the light to turn left on Laguna Canyon, some of the riders we passed rolled up behind us where one said "oh no wonder you guys are so fast, you're from Broadcom."  Chalk that up as a cool compliment for the day.

Shannon and I continued to work together through the bike trail and we still had a pretty good pace heading back despite all the hills we did.  I almost cramped on Harvard, but a stop light and a Shot Blok helped to keep us together where we both made it back safely to the BJ's parking lot.  Todd and Galen were there already, and Noah had sent me a text to confirm that he, too, made it back to his house safely as well.

It's been a while hanging out after a ride with the guys, so today was extra special since we all went into BJ's for some post-ride festivities.  Shannon got it started early though and handed me an ice cold beer in the parking lot since we parked close together, and that was followed by some Pirahanas and Red inside.  Noah even came over to join us, and Sarah eventually joined us as well...nice!  It didn't take long before the "I love you guys" started spilling out...okay, so it was me, but what can I say...it's the truth.  I still think we're all going to come as close to death as possible on the BWR, but I couldn't think of a better set of guys to do it with than the guys on this team.  Plus, if we make it (note I use the word "if" and not "when"), just imagine what the post-ride festivities will be like for that ride.  I can't wait!

Thanks for the training, gents!

P.S.  We never did see Vince on today's ride, but it seems like he had other things on his mind for his ride today:   http://app.strava.com/activities/44640678.   Click on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment