Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lunch Ride - Los Trancos, Shady Ridgeline Turtle Rock Bonita

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/45317702

Attendees:  Vince, Jeremy, Vin, Adrian and Jaffe

Highlights:

  • Opted to go up Los Trancos today.  Figured we should populate that segment.  Preliminary result is 5th for me, but I'm sure that will change given all of us were together during the climb. 
  • Good pace on the bike trail with Adrian breaking away for a little bit before the gate.  
  • Adrian and Vince were ahead on the first bridge where I expected I may be able to pass, but they charged that thing like champs.  
  • I took the front and led some of us to the top of Shady where Vince got ahead of me on the descent.  He broke away for a bit, but with Jeremy, Vin and Jaffe, we reeled him back in by the 405. 
  • No sprints to the bridge.
  • The Ridgeline climb was interesting.  Vin led Vince, Jaffe and Jeremy up a little bit but I was caught sleeping at the light and was off the back for a little bit.  I was just able to latch on just before it pitched up when Jeremy stood up and started to break away from us.  I was able to make my way up to him (with great difficulty) and passed on the final pitch, but he was just behind me at Turtle Rock.  
  • On the climb after, we rolled together for a bit but I managed to get to Hillcrest just ahead of him.  On the descent down, however, Vince passed me with Vince and Jeremy also right there.  I think Jaffe too.
  • On the climb back up Turtle Rock, Vince saw to it to teach Jeremy a lesson for soft pedaling earlier to breakaway at Ridge.  After I rolled out and Jeremy took the front, Vince took the front and broke away with Vin and Jaffe in tow.  I was collateral damage when this occurred and couldn't handle their breakaway speed...although I tried.  
  • Once I realized I couldn't sprint up to catch them and have anything left once I did, I went into TT mode and just kept my head down until I just barely managed to catch them at the top of the Shady rise before they descended.  I knew if I didn't by then, I wouldn't until the stop light.  
  • Jaffe was in the lead when I took the front and tried to bring the pace up to prevent a challenge to bike trail sprint, but not enough since Vince took off and passed me for the win.  Nice work! 
  • There were five of us when we made the left to Bonita Canyon, and everyone seemed good to take their turn at this point. 
  • Jaffe and Vince took the front on Ford, and I soft-pedaled this section some in preparation for the condo.  
  • Vince had a good jump on the condo, but I found my rhythm and tried to see if I had enough to medal in that segment.  Failed. 
  • For the Bison sprint, Jeremy and Vin were up front originally, but then due to the lights, Vin ended up being behind me while Jeremy and Vince led us over the bridge.  Vince had offered me a lead out, which I accepted, and when we took off, Vin launched and started to pass us both.  I had to check up as he passed as I would have hit his rear wheel, but I was able to get in his draft after and pass him for the win.  Jeremy commented in the parking lot how he just saw three Asian dudes take off, and Vince responded by saying something to the effect that it's because he's a white dude.  I thought it was funny, but maybe you had to be there.
Nice work out there, gents!  Thanks for coming out!


No comments:

Post a Comment