Tuesday, March 18, 2014

If You Ain't Trying (to Breakaway that is), You Ain't Training

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/121859122

Attendees:  Todd, Mitchell, Jaffe and me

Route:  NPC Double BB

Weather:  Some overcast, cooler than yesterday, pockets of wind

Highlights:

- Everyone represented BRCM Black today.  Sexy

- Todd and I traded pulls to NPC, but NPC was the GTJ show.  Mitchell and I just hung on.

- Regrouped at the top of NPC and mostly stayed together from that point on.

- Mitchell and Steve were reluctant to take the front except on Back Bay where they helped provide some necessary reprieve from the wind to help setup some "attacks."

- Todd had started us on BB both times, and had some strong pulls, which likely was why he was held out for a while (not by me).

- After a few rotations, I decided to try a breakaway from the back.  The timing involved watching Mitchell hold Todd out for a while and waiting for him to get tired.  HA HA

- I gapped the others in my breakaway but couldn't hold it with Todd slowly reeling me in with Mitchell helping to finish closing it in the end.

- I was up front as we approached the kicker hill to Eastbluff on the first pass, so Todd darted up and got to the top first.  I was pooped, but I knew letting him go at this point would mean never seeing him again after Jamboree.

- Todd had managed to gap us on Eastbluff and kept it on the climb up Jamboree.  I closed it for a little after we turned onto it, but he stretched it back out.  I was looking to see if Mitchell or Jaffe could help close the gap, but they weren't interested.  Sigh.

- We managed to not be too far behind Todd on the climb, but he gapped us a little more on the descent toward Eastbluff/Ford intersection.  Fortunately, he had to check up a little as the light turned green for him, and we were able to get through the intersection at pace.  This led us to being able to grab his wheel again just before we got to the San Joaquin intersection.

- He was offering to let me lead after we got on his wheel, but I was still trying to catch my breath.  The other two weren't interested either.

- I did take the lead after, and led us onto Back Bay drive where Todd once again resumed the front as we entered onto Back Bay.

- I contemplated a similar attack as the first pass, but opted to just try to bring the pace up enough during my pull to hopefully help deter any breakaway attempts.

- Todd was behind me and called out to let me know he was spent where I didn't mind taking a longer turn.  Then he took off.  Nice...HAHA.

- Of course, Mitchell and Jaffe took off too leaving me for dead, but I managed to just barely stay behind them.

- Todd slowed before way before we got to the kicker hill again, and Jaffe looked like he was interested in gapping the rest of us.  Mitchell, on the other hand, slowed to wait to get back to his preferred place...behind us.

- On the kicker hill, I ended up passing Jaffe, and Todd and I sprinted up to the top.  I was able to get onto the sidewalk ahead of him, but more so due to where I was on the road rather than who got to the top first.

- I led for a little on the sidewalk, but Todd amped it up after he passed and led us all the way to the underpass and over the bridge.

- I practiced my sprint breakaway on the stretch, and took off to California after his gracious pull.

- We regrouped at the light, but Jaffe had a mechanical (chain again) somewhere on CA.  Todd led us up California, with Mitchell holding him out with me behind both of them.  I took off near the top with Todd joining the sprint, and we had to seriously test our brakes before hitting the intersection given how much we were going for it.

- At the end of it all and despite small crew, we still knocked out a 22.2 mph avg.  That was some seriously intense (turned my stomach inside out a few times) training.  Loved it!

As I mentioned on my e-mail for this ride, I was going to blog flog any TLB's (Traffic Light Breakaways...includes signs too, btw), but everyone adhered to all of them.

I was also going to acknowledge a rider of the day, which would be based on sustained breakaways, so given Todd was the closest to outright breaking away, he is awarded this honor.  He deserved it anyways considered how he hauled our asses up NPC also.  Congratulations, Todd!




No comments:

Post a Comment