Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lunch Ride - How Can They Pack So Much Abuse In 1 Hour?

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/118293197

Route:  Anteater > NPC > Pelican Loop (UP!) > down to PCH > CDM (via Ocean) > PCH > BB (via Jamboree) > Jamboree Up

Attendees:  Vince, Todd, Jeremy, Vin, Adrian and Jaffe

Highlights:  
  • Todd gets to the gym late to change and says he'll try to get out as fast as he can.  I told him we'd wait for him. 
  • Todd was the last one out and while everyone waited for him at the corner, he takes off without stopping (Vince-like...must be an Operations thing).  
  • Vince, Jeremy and I took off after our departed train and managed to latch on early at climb on E. Peltason while the others found their way up to us some where by Anteater.
  • Jeremy and Vince took turns up front heading out and up on NPC to help, while I just hung on for dear life...rough week on the legs.
  • Adrian had rolled up behind me and asked what's got into Todd as we started climbing NPC.  I didn't respond, but thought...this is unsual?   Unfortunately, he, Vin and Jaffe dropped shortly after.
  • I did manage to take the front at the top of NPC, but only for a little bit.   You can see Vince and Todd scheming though on the descent trying to make an early break upon Pelican. 
  • Vince broke away a little on the 2nd part of the climb up Pelican, but Todd reeled him in with me in tow.  Jeremy's back got the best of him, so he did stay with us on the climb.
  • Vince sprinted near the top taking Todd with him, and I was not able to respond (did I mention it was a rough week on the legs?).  I dropped at that point. 
  • Vince and Todd were working together on the descent down NPC and on PCH, so I was not able to close in on them.  I saw them make the turn on Poppy though, but I got caught at the light.  
  • Lots of seniors driving through Ocean Blvd today, so let's just say you can only do what you can do.  Not seeing the two in front of me any longer, I figured I was on my own.  That's not an excuse to slow down though....
  • As I got on Avocado, I could see Todd and Vince at the light.  Yes!  Coincidentally, Jeremy was also at the light but on PCH heading straight having skipped the CDM neighborhood.  Jeremy got to go first, so he played the impromptu rabbit.
  • When the light turned green, Vince and Todd took off and nearly snapped me off right away as I still tried to recover.
  • I did push up to the front to help the chase once I could breathe again, but when Vince passed, I was || close to dropping again.  Thank goodness we arrived at Jamboree when we did.
  • Jeremy ended up going straight, so the three of us hit BB together with no longer a rabbit to chase.  
  • Todd was up front by the time we got to the gate and had a good pull almost all the way to San Joaquin.  Vince had a good pull after as well, and I was doing what I could when I rotated up as well. 
  • I took the last pull on BB, and I thought oh man, these guys are going to drop me bad if they sprinted up the rise to Eastbluff.  Thankfully, I didn't drop too much there.  However, I was spent by that time, so the two took off up Jamboree where all I could do was watch...and granny pedal (10 mph avg, baby).
  • I'm not sure if they caught Vin, who I believe skipped Pelican, but I was fortunate enough to catch them all on the left turn to Bison. 
  • Some lady in a black SUV almost took Vince and Todd out on the way down Bison as she tried to turn right just in front of them.  Todd and Vince let the lady know how they felt about that.  I was there too, but I was just happy I could breathe at the time and thus remained silent.  
  • After we got across McArthur, Vince was calling out for a sprint between Vin and me or risk being called a female organ in the locker room.  Not sure why I get pulled into these, especially since I was just glad to be back, but I figured I'd give it a go.
  • With Todd leading us out, I contemplated on waiting a little bit after we passed the last light but decided to take off earlier knowing Vin was on my rear wheel.  I gave it what I had, but Vin got me today.  Kudos!  Just know we'll meet again, son.
Good ride today, folks.   Thanks for the abuse again!

No comments:

Post a Comment