Thursday, March 27, 2014

Great Park Time Trial and Criterium - Are We Crazy?

Strava: 
http://www.strava.com/activities/124532543 (Time Trial)
 http://www.strava.com/activities/124532541 (crit)

First of all, let me just say that I LOVE racing for team Broadcom with Todd and Shannon.  Maybe that's the beer talking, but seriously, it's probably about the most fun one can have on a weekday that's for sure.   Okay, so maybe I can say fun after the races, but the experiences are definitely memorable.

For today's challenge, the plan was to do the time trial first followed right after with the criterium race.  I think the 3 of us had our reservations about doing both considering how challenging we expected it to be, but we all decided last night that we were all in.  The worst case scenario still meant we would get an awesome workout, so what do we have to lose, right? 

The crazy part about doing both races is that Shannon did El Dorado on Tuesday to boot, and on top of that got 5th place being a part of a breakaway on the very first lap.  Sick!   Despite this, he didn't even hesitate about doing both races today.  Todd was visibly worried about doing both when I saw him on Tuesday, but he, too, was all in soon enough as well.  When you race with two guys with this much intestinal fortitude, there's absolutely no reason for me to not do the same.  I live to race with this team, so these guys definitely motivate me to do what most would probably consider unthinkable.

When we arrived at Great Park, there was a lull with regard to the wind, but it would come and go throughout.  We all had wheel covers on for the TT race, so we wondered if we were going to be blown around the course.  Fortunately, the cross winds weren't too bad, so the wheel covers didn't end up being too scary.  

For the time trial, I started behind Todd and Shannon started some time after me.   Being the first time trial of the GP season, all I could do was try to pay attention to my power output to help manage my race so that's exactly what I did.  We all agreed after that it was pretty horrible racing in the windy conditions, but we still got it done.  In the end, we had a good run where Todd got first and I got 3rd for our class.  It really helped to have course familiarity on the TT, so that definitely played to our advantage.  I think for the first time, I was actually able to pedal through each corner at speed.  I don't think I did that on my TT runs last year.  Although I got 3rd, Shannon mentioned how I got beat out by #2 by only half a second.  Does that suck or what?  Todd got me by 5 seconds, so I'm definitely pleased with that given he was last year's champ.  We'll only get faster moving forward, so receiving top honors again this season is definitely within our grasp. 

Finish line pics:





After finishing the TT, we all had to get ready for the crit, which inclued having to transfer the timing chip from one bike to another.  Todd also took the opportunity to change from his skinsuit to a kit, so he represented BRCM black while Shannon and I continued to rep white carrying over from the TT.

For the crit, it didn't seem as full as it was last week, but there were still a good number of racers out there.  Before the race, I talked briefly with Shannon about strategy, but given we just finished racing TT, it seemed more important just to hang on and not get dropped. 

Chillin' before the crit
One of the cool things they did today was let the Cat 4/5 class go first unlike the last 2 races where we followed the Cat 123 and masters.  One good thing about this was how we didn't have to go into neutral one time.  At the end of the race,  we were all still able to average in the high 25s.

We didn't stick together as much as we had in previous races, but we were all doing what we could to represent out there.  Shannon was pushing the pace early, and all I could do was watch from within the peloton and hope that I can find an opening and make my way up to him.  When I finally found an opening, I was able to push up and ultimately start working closer to the front.  I think I managed to neutralize or help neutralize a couple breakaway attempts by closing the gap, and on one breakaway, I actually joined where 5 of us were able to hold the break from the peloton for a good distance.  I was wondering if the other guys would be able to push up and join, but I was thinking maybe they were blocking to let us get away. 

In the end, we couldn't hold the break and ended up getting pulled back into the peloton by the last lap.  Todd went for it on the 2nd to the last lap on the front stretch thinking it was the final lap, so I tried to jump on and join him thinking he was trying to breakaway.  He ended up checking up and we all got pulled back into the peloton hoping we could give the final sprint a go. 

As we tried to set up for the final sprint, I was closest to the front and hoping I can get some good momentum on the last 2 turns.  However, in the final stretch, I just didn't have the legs where I definitely didn't hit the same speed as I did last week.  I couldn't tell who was behind me, but I probably lead someone out since I just couldn't snap coming out of the last turn.  I'm not sure what our placement was, but I don't think we hit top 10.   They should give points for those who did the TT beforehand though, for if they had we definitely would have taken the race. 

Todd going for it...one lap early (oops!)

Shannon and I on the actual final sprint
There were still a couple crashes in our group, and one that happened just in front of me...again.  The guy was making a turn on the back half of the course and just tucked his front wheel without any contact from any other rider.  Seriously...what is that?  I was lucky to be able to take a tighter inside line and it actually helped to let me join the following breakaway after, but still.  Another crash happened with another guy who I was actually riding with on one of the breakaways, but he checked up when he felt the peloton was upon us while I kept going with someone else.  Unfortunately for him, someone crashed in front of him taking him out in the process.  At the end of the day, finishing both races with the 3 of us unscatched was definitely worth celebrating after.  And celebrate we did....

Lisa had come out to take picture, but couldn't stay for the post race festivities.  Pam was there too, and she sat with us until it got too cold.  Shannon, Todd and I closed the place down again.  Todd got it right when he said that it's the hanging out after the race that's the most fun.  It sure is.

Great racing tonight, gents!  Go team BRCM!   The rest of the pictures can be seen here:  http://s13.photobucket.com/user/rlaureano/library/GP%203-27-14. 


No comments:

Post a Comment