Thursday, April 3, 2014

GP Crit 4 - Unofficial Top 10 Finish for 2

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/126737939

I gotta keep this short and sweet since I got back late after hanging out with Shannon and closing down Great Park after the crits once again.



Highlights:
  • It was ridiculously windy today.
  • Race started at 6 PM rather than 5:45, but wind-wise it didn't matter.
  • It seemed like all groups were smaller for today for some reason including CAT 5.
  • CAT 5 got to go first again, which I think is the better idea.
  • On the first lap, Shannon took off with some others for an early breakaway, and I joined them on the back side.  However, we weren't very organized so we were caught.
  • There were other break away attempts, but none stuck.  We closed or helped closed gaps on some of them though.
  • There were some people being coached in the race as part of a clinic they hold, but do they really need to pull people back into the peloton?
  • On the 2nd to the last lap, there was one more breakaway that had me just being able to latch on to the tail.   There were about 10 of us or so.
  • We held the breakaway for the beginning of the final lap,  but there was a slight gap between the group on the back half.  
  • I was in the 2nd group, but I was ready to chase down the others when we got neutralized by some CAT 1 passing by.
  • The guys ahead also neutralized when they got caught, by CAT 1 but this allowed us to roll back up to them.  
  • No one seemed to one to race after that in the front group as we stayed neutral for some time.  This, however, still didn't allow the others behind us to catch up.
  • When we hit the bottom of the track and started coming back up, Shannon and one other guy started pulling ahead but with some others grumbling about going neutral and both groups regrouping.
  • I was going to go ahead and go with Shannon, but after the grumbling, I pulled back some and stayed with the group to avoid "drama."  I figured it would be better though since it would let Shannon get ahead and go into the final sprint in the #1 position.
  • Everyone stayed behind me on the last 2 turns, but after I turned into the final turn with Shannon and the one other guy ahead of me, everyone took off.
  • In the end, Shannon and I seemed to have finished in top 10...Shannon for sure, but me less likely. 
  • Shannon forgot to attach timing sensor, so he may or may not get credit.  Hopefully he does.
  • We were definitely in the mix the whole race, so I think we're definitely selling our team brand to those who race among us.  
  • Hanging with Shannon after and talking about upcoming races, strategies, and analyzing the race was a blast.  Of course, the beers and Cheetos (for me) helped.  I wouldn't have eaten the Cheetos had someone not taken my Met-Rx package out of the refrigerator at work.  Weak.
Good times, Shannon!

More pictures:  http://s13.photobucket.com/user/rlaureano/slideshow/GP%204-3-14


No comments:

Post a Comment