Thursday, April 24, 2014

GP Crit #7 and TT

TT:  http://www.strava.com/activities/133916867
Crit:  http://www.strava.com/activities/133916863

Due to time constraints, let me break down both races with highlights only.

TT:
- We got to represent the new Castelli kits and speedsuits
- One guy in the parking lot passing me after I warmed up told his friend that I was full of it, which Pam overheard.  I'm not sure where that came from since I didn't know the guy and it usually takes getting to know me real well before people reach that conclusion.  
- It was windy but not as bad as last week.  It was mostly felt during the bottom of the course since the wind seemed to be coming from the W or SW. 
- Todd and I were out there and Todd went ahead of me so that not too many people pass me. 
- The guy behind me was asking about my wheel cover and power tap, and I suggested he get one when he mentioned how windy it was.  I didn't realize he was a CAT 1/2/3.   He passed me on the 3rd lap.  Sigh. 
- I hit my PR with my first time hitting a 27 mph avg for the race along with an avg power PR.
- I didn't yet get the final results, so I'll update the blog once they post it.  Overall, I think we did well. 

Crit
- There were a LOT of people out for this race.  Along with Shannon, Todd and myself, we also saw John Lenell and some of Shannon's buddies from the TMWC morning rides. 
- I was really blown out from the TT, as was Todd, but we managed to stay among the rest of the group without dropping. 
- Shannon had decided to mess with the group and took off after the 4th lap or so.  He was chased down.
- Todd was up front pushing the pace as well early on encouraging others to bridge the gap from a breakaway that I guess John was in..  I was midpack at the time, and was a little out of it so I didn't even realize a break had occurred.  I didn't worry much though since the series leaders weren't part of it.  I thought we'd end up chasing them down toward the end.
- When the series leader attempted to break off at one point, I bridged the gap to not let him get away but I knew I didn't have a lot of those in me.
- After about 5-6 laps, there was an accident that  was at the Start/Finish from the masters group and they kept asking us to slow down.   At that point, it wasn't really a race anymore although it was a little cheap that one of the lead guys attacked right after. 
- The actually ended up neutralizing the race every time we passed the Start/Finish from that point on so it wasn't even a race anymore at that point.  We were actually thinking about quitting and just going for beers.
- There were firemen and police who arrived at the scene where the fire trucks actually ended up riding on the course for a bit...even turning on their sirens as though they were expecting the racers to pull over.  WTF?  The police, from Pam's account, had also decided to cross the track at some point without looking almost causing another major crash. 
- When they called out the last lap, they instructed everyone to not sprint to the finish.  Ummm...okay.  It was a good sized group arriving at the finish and despite these instructions, you still see 2 guys sprinting anyway.  Ridiculous.

Post ride
- We couldn't party right away due to some emergency people lingering around due to the accident...so we waited
- I got to try out a new fractional IPA that Todd brought, which was delicious but light.  I need to get some of those.
- Pam brought cheese, sausages, chips and dip, so we definitely indulged in some of those while hanging out.  Delicious.
- Closed the park down...again.

Fun races, good training, and better yet...great people to hang out with after.  Thanks, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment