Thursday, April 10, 2014

GP Crit 5 - Is This a Race or a Group Ride?

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/128995421

I didn't think I'd be able to come out for the racs this evening e given I had multiple appointments at work that would take me deep into the afternoon/early evening.  I knew the TT was definitely out, but I took a chance and brought my road bike to work just in case.  I tried not to get my  hopes up given the likelihood of finishing my last meeting on time was pretty low, but what the hell, right?  I was certain Todd and Shannon were going to be there to represent, but due to personal circumstances, they indicated today that they were either not going to make it or it seemed unlikely. Thus, the odds for BRCM representation was low if not nil for tonight's races.

As luck would have it though, I was able to finish my last appointment at 4:55 PM.  It was a crazy day of work where I worked pretty much 9 hours straight without breaks, but when I saw the opportunity to make it out...I took it!  I hadn't heard anything from the other guys as to whether circumstances changed, but it didn't matter to me as I just wanted to race.  When I arrived, I didn't see Todd or Shannon's truck and pretty much figured I was going to have to go at it solo.  After getting ready though, Shannon rolled by after having represent team BRCM in the TT.  Looking at his stats, it looks like he represented in typical BAM fashion with imrpoved results all around.  Kudos!

Despite his TT performance, he was still in for the crit but was having problems with having his rear wheel hold pressure.  He was going to try and swap out his rear TT wheel and take off the covers, but in the end just decided to roll with his existing tire after pumping it up fully hoping it will hold for the entire race.  I'm pretty sure this is what MC Hammer was singing about in "Too Legit to Quit."

I went and warmed up while Shannon transitioned from TT to road bike, but I only managed to get just over 3 miles in given the time I arrived.  It would have to do.  If Shannon was going to race the crit after doing the TT this evening, there was no way I would complain about not having a lot of warm-up.  If anything, BAM doesn't run away from a challenge, we run TO it, embrace it, and beg for more.  Have you been to our lunch rides???

The race had a pretty decent amount of people, but no where near as big as it was two weeks ago.  Shannon and I were able to identify those who we needed to watch out for before the race, so we pretty much marked them throughout.  That's the nice thing about racing the same guys over and over again...you realize the real threats from the ones that warrant a "meh" during their breakaway attempts.  I won't reveal who we watch in case they're reading this, but we're definitely not just riding around without a plan.   Muahahaha..

What was weird about tonight's race was that it seemed like we were touring for most of the ride.  Looking at my power numbers, for example, during the first few laps had me pushing under 200 watts.   I kept wondering what was going on, but it would not be us who would do anything to change this if that was the way they wanted to roll this evening.  Shannon had already done the TT and I didn't really know what I'd have given how crazy my day was.

There were some breakaway attempts, but this time around, I didn't go chasing after them as much as the past races.  For one, if the breakaway didn't seem legit, then why put in the work to close or go with only to know they would eventually get caught anyway.   One breakaway attempt seemed like it had some good riders on it though, so I did give chase to it and ended up latching on but still got caught by the peloton who responded after I took off.  I guess they're watching too.

On the prime lap, there were 2 guys who broke away but no one really cared.  LOL.  They held the break to finish the prime ahead of everyone, but why wouldn't they?  We were only doing 21-23 mph.  Talk about group ride.

We rode around a few more laps, but when they rang the bell for the final lap, we were all in a big group and asking among ourselves...is that it?   Funny since I hear that same phrase from my wife probably more often than I should.   If I'm going to be fast, I need to be consistently fast, right?  Anyway....

Heading into the last lap with just about everyone together, it was really going to be a challenge figuring out how to get into a good position for the final sprint.  There was a breakaway attempt by a couple guys on the back half, but Shannon and I thought that was probably not the best idea given it was the last lap where no one would just sit there and allow it.  Sure enough...they were caught.  I had even started to push up to make sure they didn't get away, but when I saw others willing to work to do so, I didn't push up too aggressively.  I had already been pushed up at one point to close the gap on the two guys who broke away for the prime, so why not let others do some work.

Going into the double apex toward the south side of the track, it was really nutty since there were so many people.  I was afraid that since there were no breakaways, there would be some "newer" riders in the group other than just the "experienced" riders who could hold the break.  Thus, going through turns was a bit unnerving.   That doesn't mean I checked up or anything, but I was definitely watchful.

Coming out of the double apex, I found myself buried within the peleton where I wondered if I would be able to get out to actually contest for the sprint.  One of the guys we were marking was right beside me, so I was also watching if/how he get out where I would have followed him if he did.  However, he was just as stuck as I was.

After the 2nd to the last turn, I finally was able to make my way to a position where I would be on the outside of the last turn.  I started to accelerate and also caught sight of Shannon who I hadn't seen since the first lap.  Once I saw him, I turned it on even more hoping to give him a lead out or have him follow me in for a sprint finish. I was feeling good at that point, mostly because I was pissed that I was stuck in the peloton earlier, so I really started to go for it just as soon as we hit the final turn.

When I took off, I almost got blocked by two riders who were closing the gap in front of me.  I checked up just for a little enough to let the guy on my right to pass, but I ended up using him after as a leadout where I passed him before the end.  Shannon was right behind me, so he, too, was able to pass the masses for the final sprint.  His rear tire got a little loose going into the last turn due to the lack of pressure, but he recovered well and nailed it with me.  I think we probably passed a good 10 or so people if not more.  I hit a PR on the sprint with power numbers above 1K, so it was definitely a good one.  Hmm....so that's what some of the sprinters do for the prior races.  I'm on to you....

I'm not sure what the final results were, but I'm hoping we did enough to make the top 10 again.  We'll see when they post the results.  Shannon likely did equally well in his TT and hopefully took top honors for the team.  In the end, I think team BRCM came out and represented again where I'm hoping people are starting to realize we're not out there just to look sexy.  Let's just say it's a bonus for those who are spectating.  HA HA.

Good job, Shannon, and thanks for making it out with me.  The post-ride refreshments were equally rewarding.  Todd, we'll hope to see you in the next one.



No comments:

Post a Comment