Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lunch Ride #13 - Hills, Sprints and Detonations

For today's ride, I opted to setup a route that would include some hills and some sprint points just to keep things interesting.  Offline, Shannon indicated it would be cool to train for sprints having worked on this the last couple rides, so I'm easy and accommodate as best I can.   Plus, if it helps anyone who races, I'm down with it and even offered to lead out or be a part of the lead out.  It's how I roll....

Unfortunately, Shannon couldn't make it out, but Vince came out where we upheld the agenda given he has plans to race this year as well.  While we could have sprints in the absence of people who race, I figure it would be more fun to do so strategically with people who do since we would know who's being setup for the sprint.  Otherwise, it's just chaos.

Also making it out today was Todd, who hadn't been out in a while for the lunch rides, Vin, who was sick but stuck it out, and the Jaffenator with his new faster cadence style of riding.  It made for a good crew today.

At first, I REALLY didn't want to push that hard given I've been so active over the last couple weeks (I think the previous Monday was my last rest day) that I would have just been happy to pedal on my own.  I told Todd I wouldn't call out his RED jersey if he didn't give me crap about hanging in back.  He ended up giving me crap at the end of the ride anyway (more on this later), so hence the reference to his jersey color.  In his defense, however, all his black jerseys have broken zippers.  Isn't that what tailors are for?

Despite my intent to stay in the back, I actually led the guys out in the beginning and at a pace that I didn't think was too shabby.  Vince and Todd eventually passed me, but I couldn't latch on and ended up riding with Vin and Jaffe not too far behind them.  Thankfully, we all managed to make the left turn to Culver together.

Vince and Todd held the front up and over Culver and as we made our way to Turtle Rock.  Vince decided to pull ahead on Turtle Rock, but Todd kept a less frantic pace allowing the rest of us to stay on.  Jaffe fell off at one point though on TR while Vin sometime after just getting on Starcrest.  I tried to hang on, but just couldn't do it.  I rolled up to the cul-de-sac at the top not too long after Todd, and Vin shortly thereafter as well.  Vince was nowhere to be seen but had ended up waiting for the rest of us on TR.  Todd retrieved Jaffe, who is still getting used to climbing with a different cadence, and we were all together again after regrouping with Vince.

While we rode toward Sunnyhill, a silver Benz SUV decided to get in between Vince/Todd and Vin/myself/Jaffe.  We also got a little separated before getting on the bike trail, but Todd and Vince soft pedaled until we could all get back together.

Vince attacked the hill after the bridge, but the rest of us stayed with Todd as he led us all up and over the top.  Vince had a gap on us on the descent, but I slowed to wait for Jaffe a bit.  However, it turned out I really didn't need to since he was able to close the gap avoiding a section of the bike trail.

Once we started heading toward the 405, Vince had a pretty sizable gap on us at that point.  Todd had the front and was holding a good pace, but I didn't think he was going to catch Vince all on his own.  After waiting for Vin to push up to help, I decided time was running out and pushed up to try and help close the gap for us on Vince.  I ended up blowing myself up in the process and all for nothing given we didn't really get close enough to make for a good sprint training session.  Vin and Jaffe went for it nonetheless and got under the bridge with Todd and I not far behind.

Vin was able to get up to Vince at some point, but Vince being Vince got away again at the intersection of Strawberry Fields.  The rest of us regrouped at that point and again at the base of Ridgeline.

With Vince nowhere in sight, Todd led us up Ridgeline and at a pace that I thought I could keep.  Vin hung on for a bit as well, but he dropped somewhere during the first rise while I did just before the end of the 2nd one.  Jaffe couldn't hold the pace unfortunately and dropped off.

We all regrouped on Sunnyhill including Vince and Jaffe, so I was going to see if we can make the next sprint zone training section (to the bike trail opening) more effective.  Todd led us up just after getting back on Shady, and I took over for a bit after.  I was relieved before the top, but I struggled to latch back on right away.  Thankfully, I was able to latch back on to Jaffe and used him to spring off to help leadout the sprint.  Vin, Vince and Todd were pushing the pace up, but I managed to get by and started to pick the pace up getting ahead of them and ultimately offering Vince a semi-respectful lead out.  Vince sprinted by me as expected with no one else contesting him.

When we got on Bonita Canyon, I thought we would slow down a bit but everyone was pushing up and keeping the pace up.  I helped as well, but it seemed pretty challenging to get back into the rotation after pulling off the front.  Thankfully, no one dropped including me.

We contemplated skipping Condo, but Todd felt we had time.  I haven't really charged that hill lately, so I thought I'd give it a go and just see what I could do.  Vince led us up and over Ford and we were all just able to make the turn onto Jamboree without any real traffic interfering with the momentum.  I stood up to make the charge from behind Vince and Todd, who had a little lead ahead of me, and managed to make my way past both of them.  As I did, I kept asking myself if I could hold the pace in the gear I was in and realized I was fading and fast at that.   I dropped to a lower gear near the top and just barely managed to stay off the seat, but totally blew up again after.  Vince, Vin and Todd easily passed me while I tried to slow enough to pick up my lungs that had fallen out.

I was lucky to catch the 3 guys at the McArthur light, but I knew we had one more sprint point coming.  I tried sucking up as much air as I could, but the light turned green pretty fast where I just had to make do with what I had.

Todd took the front as we started making our way toward the 73, but we all had to slow due to the first light turning red just ahead of us.  While we didn't come to a complete stop, we did slow down enough to where we had no real organization for the final sprint.  Vin and Vince went around Todd and I had to choose quickly at that point what I was going to do.  Since my plan from the beginning was to offer a lead out, I chose to "try" to pull Todd and see if we can close the gap and challenge the two ahead of us.  I called out to him to jump on as I passed, but after looking back twice and seeing he wasn't sitting too closely to my rear wheel, I pulled up "Adrian-esque" like seeing there was no point in going on.  And yes, I was blown the F up...again.  Todd apparently didn't think too highly of my half-hearted pull and gave me crap after passing me and subsequently in the locker room.  I suppose he's entitled to his opinion, but at the end of the day, I write the blog.  #penmightierthansword #notredjerseyday #partridgefamilyplaylist #dontgethulkangry #justplaying #thanksforthepulls

Great training ride, gents!
  

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I seem to remember the ending a little differently. I heard a confident "hop on!!" so I did. 5 seconds later there was a huge explosion and a massive slow down. Game over and we got no closer then 50 yards. Good effort on the lead out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tow-may-tow vs. tow-mah-tow. In other words, we're saying the same thing.

      Delete