Thursday, February 5, 2015

2015 BRCM Lunch Ride #10 - Quality over Quantity

Strava:  https://app.strava.com/activities/250871413

If you've been paying any attention, you'll notice that I went from BRCM Lunch ride #8 straight to #10 where you're probably wondering what happened to #9.  Well, 1) my attendance does not make for a BRCM lunch ride and 2) I was out sick as a dog on Tuesday where I hear only Vin and Seon made it out for #9.  Neither blog, so there  you go....

For today, the participation level continues to be minimal with only 3 of us out there.  Has everyone already given up on their New Year's Resolution?!?  HA HA.  One cool thing though was Shannon made it out with Seon and he actually opted to slow down enough so that we can ride with him until he broke off to do some "real" hill training beast-mode style...a setting that neither Seon nor I have at the moment.

Given today's participants, I hoped to make it interesting for Shannon by "trying" to run a worthy pace and/or keep up with him as much as possible.  I may have even tricked him by engaging in conversation when in fact, my primary motive was to have him slow down enough to hear what I was saying.  It worked!  I got to ride with him up to the top of NPC!  Mind you, he really must have backed down A LOT to allow this, but I'll take it given I missed riding with the big guy.

After regrouping at the top, I took the lead and wondered if/when Shannon would pass not really knowing if he was following us all the way down Pelican/NPC before starting his hill climbing.  One thing I've learned over the years riding with him was that when Shannon slows down, there's usually a method to the madness...one that typically results in getting passed at some point.  Assuming he was following still, I took off once I made the right to to the first Pelican to make it interesting for him and anticipating he would follow and pass me at some point.  I had some post nasal drip action going on, so boogers were flying everywhere!  I kept looking back to make sure none flew toward his direction, but he never came and for all I know, he probably never even went down Pelican with us.  HA HA.  I only slowed down at the bottom of NPC where I regrouped with Seon after he passed with Shannon nowhere in sight.

Now, through all of the antics described above, Seon was definitely not far behind and regrouped with us both at the bottom of NPC (after Anteater) and the top.  He was holding a pretty good lead from jumping the first light after NPC, but Shannon's megawatt high cadence spin helped us make our way past him just before the 73 underpass.  Despite this, Seon brought up the back not long thereafter and hardly gave me a chance to recover.

As Seon and I made our way to CDM, he had a gap for a bit after he passed and held the front until I made my way past him to take the lead.  I was a little more "hyped" than normal given the beast who was in our presence, so I pushed a little more today on this ride.  Seon stayed with me the whole time though, even at times when I pushed more and at one time considered taking a pull as well.  He even pushed the pace early on the climb up California, so don't let this guy lead  you to believe that he's not capable of keeping up.  He's now the only one who's been persistent over the last few rides given Vin wasn't present today, so it makes sense that he's improving.  Good job!

Thank you guys for coming out today!  I really appreciate the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment