Friday, January 30, 2015

2015 Lunch Ride #8 - Vince Was Serving Some Serious Humble Pie

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/247879483

Due to a meeting, I set up the ride to depart from the corner at exactly at 11:30 a.m. to ensure that I can get back in time.  I'm not sure if this reduced the interest of the group, but it ended up only being 3 of us:  Vince, Vin and me.  When I saw that it would just be the three of us, I didn't mind that we left at 11:34 a.m., but I figured I better keep up so I can get back on time...and so I'm not riding alone.  Plus, we were all wearing black, so it looked cooler.  HA HA

While I have no immediate plans to race this year, it was clearly obvious during the ride that this was the right decision for me.  Even from the beginning on Peltason and Anteater, I was struggling just to keep up.  Vince led the whole way to Culver/Bonita Canyon, as he would 99% of the ride, and it was painful for both Vin and I. 

We thought by the time we crossed the street to make our way toward Shady he would slow down, but that rise was even more painful to hold their wheel.  I was glad when started descending toward the bike trail as I would surely have popped had the climb at that pace continued.

Once we got on the bike trail, Vince was definitely a man on a mission.  After we made it up the first steep rise before the driveway, Vin decided he wouldn't try to hold his wheel anymore.  I pushed up to try and bridge the gap given I was shamelessly holding the back the entire time, but I just couldn't do it.  Vince crested ahead of us, and it was only due to a light after that we were able to ride with him again.

We started up Knollcrest together but didn't know for sure where Pine Needles would be as we looked for the right turn.  Once we found it, Vin pulled ahead for a little but Vince and I made our way past.  Vince mentioned at the bottom that if you don't make it to the top with him, you can turn around early as he's making his way down.  This seemed very appealing to me, but I still tried to not be too far behind.  Nevertheless, Vince had gapped the both of us pretty good where I just managed to hit the top of the Luminous climb as I saw him approaching with Vin not far behind.

As we headed down to Laguna Canyon, Vin once again broke off for a little bit with Vince graciously reeling him in with me in tow.  We opted to go on the bike trail at Alton due to traffic, but I'm not too sure how much that really bought us.  Note to self:  that's a scary way to go given the sharp left turn on the trail soon after entering.

I tried to take the lead at that point, but it wasn't long before Vince elevated the pace again when he took and held the front.  He pretty much towed us past the wooden bridge after Harvard.  Vin and I took a turn or two (finally) after but we both skipped the rotation after our pulls just to catch our breath. 

When we got to University, I knew Vince was going to go for a sprint.  I wasn't sure it was going to open up enough to have it be safe, but it was clear. Vin was leading out for the sprint with Vince in #2 while I sat behind him.  When Vince took off, I couldn't get myself to go too because 1) it was shameful and 2) I was tired.  Thus, he broke away and took the sprint.

Going up California, Vin started us up but just before midway up, I pulled up to see if I turn it up a little and try and defend Vince from sprinting from behind me.  When I took off, I thought I had a good snap after jumping off my saddle and didn't see anyone making their way past me right away.  However, as we got closer to Bison, I heard a bike coming up beside me and I knew I was done.  Vince FTW.  Nice work especially considering all the effort beforehand.

Although I pushed the pace more than in the last few lunch rides today, it wasn't what I considered "fun."  What was "fun" was just having people to ride with....especially BRCM peeps.  Thanks for coming out and getting me back on time, Vince (and Vin).  Of course, after getting showered and hurrying to get to my meeting, I saw a notification on my phone it was postponed a half hour later.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment