Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lunch Ride #3 - BT Laguna Cyn Luminous Ridgeline Shady Bonita Cyn

Strava:  https://app.strava.com/activities/240702006

Attendees:  Gary, Vin, Seon and me

This is the 3rd "official" lunch ride of the year, and I'm already starting to get flashbacks of the past.  Gary leading out the start of the ride, Vin sucking wheel early on and Seon Lee coming out to ride with us had me thinking about how it used to be.  Given I'm a sentimental fool, I'm diggin' it.

We saw David Karr in the locker room where I tried to convince him to join us having ridden with us in the past.  He chuckled when I was welcoming Seon back to the lunch ride and describing how the pace was not as fast (at least for those of us interested more in seat time).  I guess I failed to do so given he still wouldn't ride with us, but hopefully this will change down the road.

Although Seon joined us, he only stayed with us for a little bit on the bike trail.  He was behind Gary and Vin with me off the back when I saw him pull over.  When I slowed to see what was wrong, he indicated his phone dropped off his bike and he needed to look for it.  I would have waited, but he told me to keep going.  I figured in case he decided he wasn't going to ride without his phone, I took off as he suggested.  Seon ended up seeing David Liu after finding his phone near the base of California, and they did their own thing around Back Bay.  What's cool here is that David is also looking to be making a come back.  Hopefully, it won't be long before the corner of Bison and Health Sciences is full of BRCM cyclists again.  Remember that?

As for Gary, Vin and I, we proceeded through the bike trail pretty much together the whole time.  There were a couple charges here and there (none from me by the way), but all-in-all, we remained as a group throughout.

Going up toward Luminous, Vin broke away early and ended up waiting for us near the top.  Gary and I were together to the top, and eventually joined Vin after turning around.  It was Gary's first time going up, and he liked it.

When we got onto the bike trail leading to the 405 (Vin missed the entrance so came up from the back), it was pretty solid head wind.  Vin eventually made his way past the both of us, but Gary was holding a pretty solid pace while I was off the back managing mine.

We regrouped at the light on Strawberry Farms, but we all ended up just a little strung out going up Ridgeline where no one was really riding anyone's draft.  It's uphill anyway, so....  We were still fairly close together though, so it was all good.

When we made our way onto Shady, Gary and Vin had pulled away from me on the climb with Gary leading the way.  Vin, I believe, took a turn but Gary then started to lead their charge down toward the bike trail opening.  I wanted to give the old bike trail charge a run, so I started to make my way past both of them when I noticed Vin latch on after I passed (think Stand By Me when the leech attached to the kid's nuts).  Anyway, I decided to drop the hammer and see what the kid could do expecting him to pass me before the trail.  That didn't happen.  I guess I still got a little kick...either that or fat people can sprint.  HA

We got a little strung out on Bonita Canyon, but we were fully regrouped before the 73 underpass.  Gary started to charge past Vince right before we got to McArthur, but Vin wasn't having any of it and took off leaving the two of us behind.  I did try and pick it up for the finish to hopefully get lucky with the lights and catch Vin, but I didn't.  Oh well.

It was another good day on the saddle, so I'm already looking forward to the next one...with more folks I hope.

Thanks for coming out, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment