Sunday, January 25, 2015

2015 Weekend Team Ride #2 - Bonkarific!

Strava:  https://app.strava.com/activities/246194400

In an effort to keep the momentum going for some good team riding, I offered to host a ride from my house that took us to the base and back (roughly 60 miles).  Answering the call were Todd, Vin, Noah, Galen, Hiroshi and Verm with Vince deciding to join us last minute after his mountain bike race was cancelled.  Verm hadn't been feeling great the week before, but despite this managed to show up just before we departed like the trooper that he is.

When I woke up to check the weather, I was really surprised to see that the current winds at the time (6:30 a.m.) showed 19 mph NNE.  Looking outside my windows, however, the trees and bushes looked pretty still.  Apparently, the winds were hitting other parts of Orange county at that moment, but we would be facing some pretty good winds, especially on the way back.  At times it was absolutely ridonkulous.  I probably would have felt it more had I been helping to pull more.  HA HA.  Aside from the winds, the temperature and conditions were absolutely perfect.

As with all the other rides this year, the premise was to get some good seat time riding together as a team with some great guys.  And on top of it, everyone came and represented BRCM black!  Of course, Noah came out donning his red BRCM only to pull out the black after just to try and get a reaction from me...typical.  In addition to the new site picture, I took another one early on from the back showing how menacing the team looked in black.  It seemed others may have found it daunting  since we hardly had anyone jump on and/or try to mix it up.

Bad asses!

When we headed out, we pretty much rode two abreast and not with any real rotation.  Todd and Verm had the front probably most of the way to San Clemente if not entirely.  It was a great pace for sure since we passed people here and there along the way.   You definitely couldn't tell Verm had been fighting the flue early on.  Todd also had 10 miles on his legs beforehand given he (and Vin) rode from home.  There were times when we would get a little separation, but they were short-lived early on.

It was during the first climb up San Clemente that the gloves came off and people started climbing up the hill in typical BAM fashion.  I definitely didn't want any knowing that carrying the extra weight against the likes of Hiroshi, who barely filled his size XS jersey, would be asking for trouble.  I think Vince and Verm ended up breaking away at this point while the rest of us stayed fairly close together while hitting the red lights in down town.  Vince and Verm ended up regrouping with the rest of us on Presidente though as we made our way toward Trestles.

There were more breakaways on Old Coast Highway, but for the most part, no one in the group really cared.  We were out to ride as a team, so except for maybe 1-2, we stayed together all the way down to Las Pulgas with Todd and Verm still doing most of the work up front and without any hint of caring.  Vince had regrouped again during our descent toward the gate before Las Pulgas, so we all made our way up to the guard station together.  Galen had been doing some bunny hops just before Las Pulgas and ended up tweaking his rear derailleur somehow, so we all had to stop and let him work on his bike just after the gate.

Noah, in his infinite wisdom, let Sarah use his ID for something that morning and forgot its need to get him on the base.  Since he wanted to get some power training in anyway, he was content to turn around and do some intervals at the state beach while he waited for us to return.

We saw Mani from Two Hubs and some other guys he was riding with while we were waiting for Galen, so we thought they may be joining us or vice versa.  However, when we took off eventually, and with Galen's shifting not fully operational, we ended up taking off without them.

For some reason, the pace through the pace had picked up more and we were definitely passing people with authority.  Some guys we passed met up with us at McDonald's and commented how we blazed by them, so it had someone transformed to more of a typical BAM pace.  Vince had gotten away for a bit again, and Hiroshi was continuing to show his strength from all the miles he's been putting in as well.  At one point, I thought there was more of a collective effort to reel Vince back in again, so I actually participated in this cause...probably not the best idea given the outcome of the ride on the way back (more on this later).  We were able to get back on his wheel, but more of the same antics continued up through when we got to the base.  I tried a little sprint on the hill just before McDonald's, myself, only to have others make fun of how pathetic of an effort it really was.  I agreed.

We had a rather lengthy break at McDonald's with people refueling with food and drinks.  Vin had some dried sweet potatoes among other sweet goods he had brought, but not a single taro bun in sight.  I'm not really a fan of long breaks, but it was definitely more enjoyable given the company I was with.

Still in good spirits after 30

Had the most fuel with him than anyone else

Vin caught looking lovingly at Vince

When we finally got going, we definitely had a lot more wind to contend with.  Hiroshi led the charge up the Stuart Mesa hill, and it was a definitely at a taxing pace.  I managed to keep up just at the very top, but I think that was probably the beginning of the end for me.  Shortly after, I found myself in the paceline just ahead of Todd when Vince decided to turn it up a notch.  When I realized I couldn't hang on, I "pulled a Jaffe" according to Todd and waved him on after allowing a sizable gap to form.  This happened again after Galen finally decided to take the front, despite his bike's state, but Hiroshi had allowed for the gap whereas my efforts to close it again only blew me up more.   It was nice that the others would wait for some rolling regroups here and there, but I think they tired after we got back on Las Pulgas and just made their way to the next water stop at the beach.  Verm and I had been off the back at that point, so we were just helping each other out trying to work together until the watering hole.

The two of us regrouped with the others at the water fountain but Verm opted to get ahead.  I should have joined him, but I thought I'd do okay trying to stay with the others after getting a gel from Galen (I didn't bring any food or electrolytes...doh!).  I just managed to stay with the group as we made our way back to Trestles, but lost them after I totally ran out of fuel at that point.  From there, it was just Verm and I and both of us were struggling just to pedal.  There were times he'd help me and then vice versa, but for the most part, we both just wanted to get back.

When we saw everyone making their way back toward the bike trail through Capo Beach, Verm and I opted to go straight instead to shave off some distance to my house.  We were hurting THAT bad.  I actually thought the others may follow, but thankfully they didn't as they would have seen a really pathetic pace at that point.  The winds definitely didn't make it easy.

When Verm and I finally made it back, even having taken a shortcut through the bike trails near my house, I think the saying "near-death" would describe our state appropriately.  I can't remember the last time I was that depleted both from a hydration and nutrition standpoint.  Noah had already made his way back ahead of us, and of course enjoyed seeing us in our depleted state.  It didn't take long for the others to get back after us, but they definitely didn't seem as damaged as Verm and I.  I was just telling Lisa the other week how I miss the days when we would push our bodies beyond its limits...what was I thinking.  I could have died....  HA HA

Although Hiroshi couldn't stay and Verm could only have a Peroni with me, the rest stayed for the post-ride food and festivities.  Pam, Lan, Tiff with Gage, Nicole and Lisa were here with us, and we enjoyed various types of beers, Mexican food, music (Todd approved) and each other's company.  Noah, in training, actually was the model of good behavior (as opposed to the norm) and only had one beer.  Wha?  I should have busted out some Smirnoff's.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, Galen was in absolute rare form.  While I told him I'd write everything he said and did, let's just say that the Left Coast Asylum Belgian I served him did its job and leave it at that.  Glad he had a ride home.

Another fun team outing in the books.  I'll need to prepare better for the next one for sure.  NO excuses on my part though.  I have only myself to blame, but I'll be smarter for the next one.

Thank you, guys and gals!  Until the next ride....  

No comments:

Post a Comment