Tuesday, January 20, 2015

2015 Lunch Ride #5 - NPC Double Back Bay with Bonus Quote of the Day

Strava:  https://app.strava.com/activities/243829865

It's great to be able to go out consistently with the group during lunch.  Today was the first time this year Vince actually joined us for a ride during lunch, so it was good to be able to ride with him...even for as little as I did.  Gary and Vin (as well as myself) have made it out to all of them this year...woo hoo.  Todd, I think, missed one but made it out today and Seon came out for his second ride.  We all rode in BRCM gear, which is always cool, but Todd and Vin missed the Tuesday equals white kit memo.  We still looked like a team, so all is good.

With Vince planning to race this year, we figured he would be off and about early.  In all fairness, he did wait in some spots, but also did his thing on some others.  He was definitely among those up front for the entire length and also did the horseshoe extra credit along with even more unplanned extra credit at the end.

While Todd could have worked with Vince to break away even more, he was still the gentleman offering tows early on and trying to keep the group together.  When we got going up NPC, however, he couldn't resist the opportunity to go up to the others up front.  He did call out a regroup point (exit of the horseshoe) before taking off, so he was somehow able to corral Vince to also wait with him.  He too, did the unplanned extra credit with Vince, so they had some additional mileage above the others.

Vin had taken off on NPC with a head start, but slowed a little to wait for Vince and Todd as they ascended up NPC.  I didn't see much of their ascent, so I can only assume he made it up with Vince and Todd to do the horseshoe extra credit as well.  Vin was together up front during the rest of the way up until Back Bay where we saw him riding alone with Todd and Vince not in sight.  I presume he either caught them or somehow regrouped to do a portion or all of the unplanned extra credit as well.

Gary's progress continues to increase every outing.  Some of my observations include how I passed him off the seat at a steady pace as we climbed up NPC only to have him pass me back in BAM fashion also off the seat and at a much better pace holding it to the top.  He also got some of the guys riled with his wild charge down San Joaquin and did some rotations up the front during both of the Back Bay passes as Seon and I rode with him.

Seon is also making some progress.  Although he couldn't match the pace going up NPC, he wasn't too far behind.  He also stayed fairly close throughout and even had a good climb going up Jamboree after the first Back Bay pass.  He was a little reserved about charging down San Joaquin, but he's getting a lot of head shake when he brakes.  Better safe than sorry.

I had fun riding my ride, which I'm thankful to the guys for allowing me to do so.  I didn't keep up on Peltason and Anteater, but I wasn't too far behind.  On NPC, I can actually say I had a fun climb getting to work off-the-seat through most of it.  I also had fun going through Back Bay at a less than manic pace as those who race or are just plain aggro.  It was great to exchange pulls (with Gary) at a more manageable pace and not feel like death throughout.  I had gotten ahead of the Gary and Seon on the last pass, but as I stopped to wait before Jamboree, I turned around and Vince went whizzing by with no one around.  He didn't even say hi.  For that, I thought I'd give chase and offer to help him race training.  I managed to reel him on the stretch before California, and passed just before probably pissing him the hell off.  I don't know why he should be pissed though since this IS what other racers will do to him if he's not paying attention.  Vince also took off up California, so I opted to jump in his draft and proceed to do the same just before the top.  When he arrived, I commented how FAT is 75% of FAST (something I took from Super Dave's Strava post) and Vince was a little too annoyed to respond.

Todd and Vin were just behind me before the sprint, so I was expecting one of them to take off.  I think they were all equally pissed that I didn't do any work (with them) during the ride.  Todd even made a comment in the shower as I was reflecting on the finish "what about the hypocrisy of sprinting?!?"  He gets a little cray cray when people do that, but let me respond:  1) with Vince racing and needing the exposure, morals and principles are out the window.  Crying "hypocrisy" as a result of losing a race won't change the score cards and 2) I know I didn't do as much work and am nowhere as fast, but considering I'm not racing, who cares?"  A simple "thank you" will suffice instead.  HA HA.  I'm sure I'll get heat for these statements in the next ride, but then again, I'm always off the back anyway.  Plus, these guys love me too much to be mad at me too long.
Thanks for coming out, gents!  Love you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment