Thursday, February 26, 2015

2015 Lunch Ride #15 - Irvine Bike Trail to Orchard Hills Loop and Back

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/260283976

Attendees:   Vince, Shannon, Mitchell, Jaffe, Seon and Vin

It was a pretty good turnout today with 7 of us making it out.  Todd couldn't make it out since he's getting ready to go skiing, but this worked out given he's not a big fan of riding up the bike trail toward Portola in a group.  Those who did come out were definitely game.

I brought out my TT bike today since I was pressed for time and it was the only bike I've ridden in a while with a decent amount of air in the tires.  This ended up working out to my advantage given the company.  I had originally planned to take it easy despite being on the TT, but that went out the window once Vince and Shannon started bringing the pace up.   I'd have been way off the back today had I been on anything else.

Vin started off leading the group down California, but fell back in line once we got on the bike trail.

I really did want to take it easy and got us going around 22-24 mph.  Vince not only brought the pace up but he also slipped by at breakaway pace shortly followed by Shannon who started to give chase.  THAT was the moment it got nutty.  Even on my TT bike, it was work just to try to keep up and definitely when trying to close the gap Vince had created.  What was impressive is how Jaffe, Mitchell and Vin were also right there.  Who are these guys?!?  Seon unfortunately had fallen off, but this was probably more by choice given I've seen him stay in the draft at a good clip on a flat no problem.

For me, it was like a day of intervals.  I'd push the pace up some when I'd get up front, hold it there for a bit, and then pop off with the guys passing me up.  Then, I'd hope to either catch people at a light or have to work a lot to do so on my own once I regained steam.

I saw sprints to the bridge by Shannon, Vince and Shannon charging up Portola and similarly up OH with a sprint down the other side, more sprint paces on Portola as we headed back to the bike trail, and even more by Vin, Vince and Shannon on the University bike trail heading to California.  My TT bike is not a sprinter, and I was often off the back during these sprint points, but it was cool to watch.

One thing I'll share is that I know I don't provide a good draft when I'm on my TT bike.  I really thought that when I'd push up and try to pick the pace up, there would be casualties as a result.  Ironically, I was the only casualty each time.  So much for that plan.  I may need to take my TT bike more often just because it's really the only way I can contribute and/or keep up.

All-in-all, it was a great training ride today.  I really needed it given I haven't been able to ride since Saturday.  Lots of 2015 medals on Strava by the others, and definitely impressive considering the heavy winds on the way back.

Thanks for coming out, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment