Thursday, June 18, 2015

Lunch Ride - Never Again Up San Joaquin!

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/328249476

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince, Mitchell, Jaffe, Vin and Hiroshi (to San Joaquin only)

Highlights:
  • Everyone wore the black jersey today, but Hiroshi donned his Rock Racing in preparation for racing this evening.  He only came out for a part of the ride, so he can save some for this evening.  Good luck, Hiroshi!
  • Vin's been taking off ahead of the group at the start the last few rides including this one.  I'm still trying to figure out a motive.  He had a chance to breakaway since he caught the light to cross University, but he then opted to wait for the rest of us.  Inexplicable.
  • Vince started us off on the bike trail and I gotta say, it was pretty tough.  I was in the #2 spot where I experienced an eye problem...I couldn't see myself relieving him right away. It took getting onto Back Bay before I finally pulled up to the front.  
  • The rotations were good through Back Bay, so the group was able to keep the pace rather "spirited."  
  • Hiroshi broke off once we got to San Joaquin, and three of us took off up the hill ahead of the others.  Mitchell was able to join us just before crossing.
  • Most of us slowed after crossing to try and regroup, but Vince took off and from what we could see, caught most of the green lights ahead of us while we had to stop for all of them.  He actually waited for us at the top of NPC though.  Wha?
  • Despite the lights, we were never able to regroup with Jaffe or Vin on San Joaquin.  We tried, but I believe they had some bad luck with the lights as well.  Hence, the title of this post....
  • After four of us regrouped, there seemed to be a mad sprint after making the right to Pelican.  This continued on the descent, but some had different strategies of how to hit the hill at the bottom.  I opted to pull a little more back, and started sprinting just as soon as it pitched up again.  This allowed me to take the lead and in doing so, heard someone call me by a nickname common to my name:  "Dick!"  I don't really go by that nickname, but it is a variation of Richard so....
  • After the hill, there was more jockeying and I actually fell a little behind going back onto NPC and PCH.  Fortunately, we were able to regroup again on Poppy. 
  • Ocean and the neighborhood was pretty uneventful, but the pace was still rather lively throughout.  It was fortunate that we were all together again on Avocado to make the right on PCH.
  • We charged to Jamboree on PCH working together in harmony (think flight of the bumblebee as appropriate background music)
  • Back Bay was more of the same madness, and although contrary to how it may have appeared, I was pushing as hard and long as I could (great anxiety reliever).  At one point though, there was a gap between Shannon and me and Vince kept asking me if I was okay.  I thought to myself  1) does he really care how I am, 2) I think I can, I think I can, 3) if I'm not closing the gap fast enough, then close it as he's just right there.   I did eventually throw in the towel and waved Vince on to close it...so he did...and I dropped...with Mitchell still stuck to my rear wheel like glue.
  • The four of us were on our own as we made our way to California, but we got to regroup at the light.
  • On the way up, Vince gave me to go ahead on the climb, so I took the opportunity to work on my standing climb.  Yep...that pretty much did me in by the time we got back.

You know, I'd really like to add more color to the blog by writing more free form than with bullets, but time isn't really on my side.  I'm really glad that I'm still a part of these crazy rides and get to take advantage of the beyond excellent training it affords me.  I think I say it after every ride, but I really mean it when I say thank you, guys, for coming out.  It's a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment