Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Lunch Ride - Suffering Builds Character

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/322048998

Attendees:  Todd, Shannon, Vince, Mitchell, Vin, Jaffe and me

Highlights:
  • Although it was cloudy, the weather was downright muggy and reminiscent of being in a sauna.
  • Despite the weather, we had a good sized group come out today.  
  • Those we represented in white:  Vince, Shannon, Mitchell and me. 
  • Look who jumped on the clincher bandwagon:
Amateur!
  • California is hardly a warm-up, so the pace picking up on the bike trail right away is always a doozy.   I don't know how the others felt, but I was a little anxious about pulling to the front (although I still did) given how many came out today. 
  • The rotations started right away and everyone was pushing up all the way through the Back Bay.  It was rough given the wind, so it was nice being able to roll behind someone for cover.  
  • At the tail end of Back Bay, Vince took off for the final sprint.  I tried to contest, almost passed, but fell behind just before the gate.  
  • We regrouped before Jamboree and made our way onto PCH getting the green light upon our arrival.  
  • It was tough to latch on at first after making the turn (I was a little off the back), but I was just able to latch on.  
  • We headed out as a group going toward CDM, but Todd and I got separated due to a truck and a light.  We were going to stop to regroup in CDM, but decided to wait until after Poppy to do so.  
  • As we were stopped waiting, you see the group behind us coming and at a pretty good clip.  It was rough trying to latch as they passed (so much for being considerate for those of us who were considerate waiting for them - HA).  
  • At one of the lights, there was a breakaway and it didn't seem like anyone was eager to close it.  I was winded, but I pushed up to help close the gap with Todd's help and we were able to regroup at the NPC light.  
  • The turnaround at El Morro is also sketchy, but we were all together shortly after.  
  • The pace on the way back was equally intense, which substantiates how less hilly rides keeps the intensity up throughout vs. mostly on the climbs on the more hilly rides.
  • We took Ocean as a way to get through CDM but had to take a detour due to a closed road.  
  • Once back on PCH, the madness ensued.
  • We didn't start pushing too much as soon as we were on Back Bay Drive, but the pace picked up SUBSTANTIALLY just after the gate.  I was in the #2 spot, and I dreaded the thought of pushing up to #1.  I wasn't sure if I could to be honest.
  • It stayed crazy after San Joaquin, and at some points, thoughts of giving up popped into my head.  I hate when that happens.  I don't think I was the only one though.
  • I ended up staying on, and at one point, Vince launched an attack but I was not far behind.  I was able to close it and once again looked at him as he looked back with the "no way I'm pushing up right away" look.  
  • After thinking about it though, I decided I'd give him a taste of his own medicine and took off..  I wasn't sure if anyone latched on when I did, but when I saw I had a gap I pushed on hoping to get to the top first.  I was being chased, however, and I blew up midway up the hill and got passed by Vince and Shannon with Vince yelling "Boom!" as they did.  Boom was an accurate description for sure.
  • I was worked from the breakaway attempt, so I was seriously in recovery mode at the top and on the way to Jamboree.  
  • Vince was up ahead on the climb, and I was hoping to chase him down.  That didn't happen.  I had started up with Todd, he fell behind, caught up, passed me, and I rode his wheel most of the rest of the way up.  
  • We were regrouped on McArthur, but 5.0 was on the left turn lane on McArthur where I thought we were going to take it easy.  Some took off anyway.  
  • We got stopped at both lights over the 73, and Vin was the only one who wanted to push the rest of the way.  In trying to catch him, I pretty much blew the rest of my wad and getting another great workout with the team.
Thanks for coming out and beating me up, guys.   As with all the challenges we're faced with in life, we can avoid them to be safe or embrace them and be stronger.  I choose the latter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment