Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lunch Ride - Bike Trail Laguna Canyon Shady Summit Jamboree Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/7360050

I thought I'd get in some extra miles today since the weather held up, so I joined Jaffe, Hiroshi, Vin and Mitchell on today's ride.  In typical fashion, I ending up choosing the route (ha ha) where I figured it would be an easy spin as I taper for the week.  I figured wrong.

With the five of us working, we managed to get to Laguna Canyon with a 23 mph average.  Jaffe and I were talking about how back in the day, we would be happy to see 19 mph.  Nowadays, people do that and more solo.  How times have changed.

Everyone was doing their fair share of work today, including Hiroshi who found out yesterday his brakes were sitting up against his front wheel during the whole ride.  I hate when that happens by the way.  We were still managing a good pace as we headed over to Shady.

As we hit the turnabout, there was a car coming from the right and everyone checked up.  Once I saw the guy was slowing down, I jumped to the front and began leading the guys toward the climb.  Once there, I went into panic mode (meaning I'm panicking about this weekend's ride and I need to train harder) and took off up the hill on a breakaway.  So much for tapering.

We regrouped at the gate subsequently, and I took off to lead the group through the long way but they fell back right away for some reason.  However, when I was climbing up around the other side, I looked back and everyone had latched back on with Mitchell right behind me.  Nice job!

As we headed down toward Bonita Canyon, I was in the back after the pull and watched to see Vin try and relieve Jaffe as they neared the bike path.  Jaffe's inner BAM kicked in and he started going faster where both of them seemed to be sprinting to the bike trail opening.  I used it as an opportunity to swing around and give it a go as well.  932 watts for 5 seconds later (according to WKO+) with a 1005 max and BAM, I was in front. Now I don't really know what all that means, so don't ask.

As we headed over to Summit, Hiroshi and Vin jumped ahead on Turtle Ridge and looked like they were going for some Strava.  I decided I better work too, so I stood up and while on the hoods, worked the big ring eventually passing them.  I was a little pooped at the light to turn left though.  HA HA

Going up Summit, Vin and Hiroshi started it off again with a nice high cadence pace.  I thought I'd still work on the big ring and still managed to find a decent cadence that allowed me to pass.  Mitchell, however, was stuck on my rear wheel like white on rice.  As the hill pitched up some more and with Mitchell not relenting, I ended up succumbing to the small ring to see if that would work to shake him off.  Although not initially, he did eventually.  As I made my way to the top, I was certain these guys were going to pass me again since they're getting so strong, so I stood back up and sprinted to the top just in case.  Fortunately, no one came up to contest.

I made my way down to Turtle Ridge and eventually got to the light to go on Bonita Canyon.  I was thinking I'd wait up for the guys on the other side, so I can have someone to ride with but as the light turned green, Vin and Mitchell passed me without losing any momentum from the downhill.  Nice.  Since they had a good gap on me as I fumbled to clip in, I decided the steady pace (rather than the sprint pace) was a better way to reel them back in.  It took until just before the 73 overpass that I did.

I let Mitchell and Vin pull so I can catch my breath a little, but once I did, I jumped to the front and pulled them up to the top of the rise.  Vin relieved me at the top, and we rode together as we made our way to the McArthur light.  Mitchell, however, pulled a Roberto Duran and gestured (no mas) at this point and headed back to Broadcom.

Vin and I proceeded up Ford to head toward the condo, and Vin jumped ahead just before going up Jamboree.  Once on it though, the goal for me was to stay off the seat the whole time again...something I haven't done in a while.  Mission accomplished.  I knew it wasn't going to be a record pace since I didn't have enough momentum going onto it (Vin was on the inside of my turn), so I did check up at the top.  Plus, the light was red.

Vin was having some cramping issues as we waited to cross McArthur, so he was not up for any sprinting to the end.  I wanted to see what I could do but waited until we crossed the 2nd light before giving it a go.  Hitting a 915 watt peak, I did 851 watts for 10 seconds, which dropped down to 773 watts for 20 seconds.  Again, I have no idea what it all means but I'm sure it confirms I'm old and I'm slow.

Thanks for the midweek ride, gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment