Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lunch Ride - The Turtle Rock Ring Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/6637508

Although not as many came out today as on Tuesday, it was still a good training ride.  Here's some highlights:

  • It was a little windy here and there, but behind LTJ, I didn't notice.  
  • Pace was over 20 mph when we hit Bonita Canyon intersection, so we were moving at a pretty good clip with some good pulls.
  • Up Shady, the pace was a little intense but for the most part, we all made it to Sunnyhill together.
  • The pace down Turtle Rock was pretty fast as well and I think everyone took pulls (whether they wanted to or not...ha ha).
  • Going up the other side of Turtle Rock, I started off the pace, but LTJ got by me and it was good enough to stay on his wheel all the way to Ridgeline.  We ended up breaking away from the others at some point, so we just kept going to try and hold everyone off. 
  • We stayed together up Shady alternating pulls (80% Todd 20% me), and it was more of the same on the 405 bike trail as well.
  • We did hit the light at Ridgeline and just managed to get going before the chase group behind us caught up. 
  • Todd took off quick up Ridgeline and I thought I had time to latch on, but that was a mistake on my part where I ended up having to do my own thing. 
  • As I neared the top, I peeked back and saw I too was being pursued by the chase group. 
  • I almost caught Todd at the light on Campus and Culver, but I just missed it.  The chase group rolled up behind me shortly after.  Todd was gone.
  • Going up Culver, that was a grind and I thought I'd set a good pace up it.  Vin, Jaffe and Mitchell kept the pace up as well.  
  • On Bonita Canyon, we had a paceline going and at a point after Vince rolled off from the front, Vin launched and started motoring up the hill.  I chased him down just enough to get on his wheel to let him drain his youthful energy.  
  • When we came to McArthur, I thought the route was to go up the Condo, but apparently, I had this wrong.  Everyone else knew the route and proceeded, so the extra credit was based on ignorance if nothing else.  
  • I met Gary on Bison and as expected, he torqued it up after we got over the 73 and we headed toward California head-to-head to finish out the route with nothing left.  
Good job, gents!  I hope I'll be recovered enough for this weekend's race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment