Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mt. Baldy Pre-L'Etape Trainer

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/6828686#127617571

Having missed the Devil Dog race yesterday, it was nice to have an alternative trainer for the weekend.  However, this was not just your ordinary trainer, it's one that is probably the most epic nearby hill trainer around...Mt. Baldy.  Craig invited us out, and one by one, Shannon, Todd, Gary and I all decided to come out and join him.

It was a cold morning to start out with and all of us were in full warmers except Craig (unbelievable).  It was even colder at the top fo Baldy given that there was plenty of fresh fallen snow.  It was unbelievably cold on the way down.  However, after we got down from GRR on the way back, the weather actually warmed up and it became almost perfect weather conditions for the ride down GMR.

When we started up GMR, LTJ was on a mission to just kill it to the top, so he left followed by Gary.  I was just with Craig and Shannon, and when I was standing and climbing while they spun behind me chatting up a storm, I knew it was going to be a long day.

Shannon and Craig caught and rode with Gary up ahead of me, while I had fallen back and they just stayed in sight up until the last climb before dropping down toward East Fork.  I thought I made up some ground on them at some points, but they just blew me out the back eventually where I brought up the rear all the way to the top.  Gary with his new seating position is legit, and Craig has come a long way since I last rode with him also quite legit.  We already know Todd and Shannon and legit, so....

When I got to the top, I didn't want to stop long so I took off ahead of everyone.  It wasn't long before Todd, Craig and Shannon passed me on GRR.  I just couldn't hold their wheel, and at this point, I was really getting nervous about the climb up to the ski lifts.    I was even more nervous seeing snow on the side of the road and water running off where I was worried about possible ice.

When I got to Baldy Village, I just saw Todd who had his chain drop while Shannon came out from behind the tourist station to grab something to eat.  Very shortly after, Gary rolled up behind me.   I didn't want to wait too long since my pace just isn't on par with these guys, so I took off and got a head start up to the lift.  The roads were filled with even more ice and water, and all i could think was how scary it would be for the guys riding on carbon wheels.  I wanted to turn around, but I pressed on at a slow pace just to make sure I finished and got to the top.  Just before the final climb, Todd and Shannon made their way past me and charged up the hill.  My objective was just not to paperboy, so I was able to do that but barely.   Turning around before making the turn into the parking lot, I saw Craig charging up as well.  At the top, I was only there for a little bit when Gary showed up as well.  Animals...the lot of them.

As I looked around at the snow and the people preparing to ski/snow board for the day, I just wanted to get back down.  My legs were tightening up, I was cold, and I just wanted to get past all the ice and water on he switchbacks on the way down.  I left ahead of the guys, and even in aluminum wheels, the trek down to the village was scary.  I actually was on the brakes most of the way down just because I didn't want to lose control, so by the time I got to the village, both hands were cramping up from squeezing on the brakes so hard.

Craig came out of nowhere before climbing up GRR, and we started to ascend together.  At the top, he started to pull away on the descent, but I kept him in my sights.  I was ultimately able to catch up to him again and we started trading pulls as we made our way up and down GRR to GMR.  We all were to regroup at the top of GMR so I could GoPro the footage down this fun hill.  Todd rolled up first, and Shannon and Gary rolled up together.

When we rode down GMR, Craig led us out but Gary took some turns up front as we bombed down the hill.  Shannon wanted me to get in front of him, so I got behind Todd.  We were moving pretty fast down the hill, but we got tied up by motorcycles, a car, a truck and a couple of cyclists.  I jumped up front after the last set of motorcycles passed and led the guys down.  I thought my chain dropped at one point, but I was once again able to get it back on the ring.  Cool!

As we made our way down, Craig and Gary took over and we were just going for it.  At one point, Gary wanted to see what I had left so in typical BAM fashion, he started to sprint and I chased him down.  I just had enough to get past him through attrition but he definitely was moving.  As we all made our way back to where we started, people still kept pushing the pace.  I guess there is no such thing as a cool down on our rides.  Sigh.

It was a great outing with some super strong performances out there by everyone.  I'll definitely have to see what L'Etape has in store for me, but it should be a good outing for the others who are coming out in a couple weeks.  Great trainer, gents!  Thanks for coming out.


No comments:

Post a Comment