Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lunch Ride - Zoom Zoom BAM style

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/10168743

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince, Todd, Galen, Adrian (partial), Eddie, Seon, Vin, Mitchell, Hiroshi, Gary, Marc and Jeremy

Looking at the attendees list, do I really need to blog how difficult today's ride was?  And yes, that is Eddie's name on there and not a typo.  Welcome back, bud. 

It was a windy ride today but you would never think it from some of the speeds and average speeds attained by some of the guys.  My strategy was to be humble and suck as much wheel as possible and hopefully, I would be able to finish with the guys.  When Shannon and Gary turned it on just after having to stop on E. Peltason one-by-one courtesy of the Irvine PD arriving at the intersection at exactly the same time, it was chase mode early on. 

I was hoping to find some relief on Anteater, but by the time I started getting passed, I had blown my first among the multiple wads I would blow on this ride.  It was fortunate that we were all able to regroup at the left turn to NPC.  Once we started to go, I was hoping to moderate my pace for the climb when just about everyone (except Seon, Eddie and me) started charging up the hill.  The three of us were slowed at the first light as a result, so it was catch up mode from there. 

Seon started climbing ahead of me, but I eventually found my way past him.  I saw that the pace held up front started to blow guys up, so I was able to pick up Jaffe before the 73 and we got by Vin shortly after.  

When we got to the top, we ended up catching those ahead of us at the light on Vista.  It was a good sized group, so I thought I could sit and rest in the back while we crested and started dropping down the other side.   However, this plan failed as those up front started turning it up early on and even more so on the descent.  I can't remember the last time I dropped off on a descent, but that's exactly what happened. 

At the bottom, I didn't end up being too far back but Jaffe and I still managed to get a little held up on our U-turn.  As we started to ascend, Jaffe started to charge up and left me behind trying to get an off the seat pace going.  That lasted only until the first Pelican, but sitting and spinning did eventually help me pass Gary (albeit contested) and then Jaffe, who was able to latch back on.  Now I led for a while and started working to close on others when I dropped into the small ring having Jaffe burst ahead of me.  It took some time to reel him back in again, but sometime shortly after, Gary was back holding a good pace and passing me while I fought desperately to latch on. 

We caught the 2nd Pelican light, and this allowed me to jump ahead and work with Gary for the last of the climb and to catch up to all those ahead of us on the Park Ridge light.  Thank God for that.  Now I desperately needed some recovery time, so as we got on San Joaquin and the Horseshoe after, I was going to try and suck as much wheel as possible.  I was already off the back of the front group heading into it, but Shannon helped closed that gap.  When Shannon was falling a little off, I tried to get around and close the gap but Shannon started powering it up again so I again jumped behind him.  However, I did pull ahead and got behind Todd as he and Vince were encouraging Galen to keep pulling us for the rest of the loop.  Galen started to slow to let others pass, but Vince and Todd thought it was time to tire Galen a little to make the ride a little less manic.  I thought about helping, but I agreed with them.  HA HA.  Looking at the times, we probably could have sprinted the last section when Galen slowed and taken down the KOM again, but why...I'm the current KOM holder.  Hello?

As we rounded San Joaquin, Vince then Todd started us up, but i decided I finally better start helping so I jumped ahead followed by Jeremy who was getting ready to get in front to help pull.  Since he didn't know the route, however, he let me stay up front until Vince could jump ahead to lead us to Spyglass. 

On Spyglass, I thought I needed to redeem myself a little from all the abuse handed to me early on, so after rounding behind Vince, I started to sprint up the hill.  Vince was beside me for a while, but I ended up breaking away and did make it to the to top ahead of the others...for all of about 2 seconds anyway or less.  Todd crested just behind me and charged past me on the downhill (probably pissed at my antics in a competitive way), so I latched on hoping we could breakaway at the light to head back to San Joaquin.  It didn't happen, so everyone including Adrian was there at the light with us.  Oh great, Adrian's here now too and the route is mostly flat from there on. 

We all got on San Miguel together, and there was no slowing down this group.  Hirsohi and Jaffe were in front of me, but I had to get around them to close the gap that was forming from the pace up front.  After rounding San Joaquin, we all got caught on the light at McArthur. I thought this was a good time to take a swig of water, and as Vince didn't have any, I also gave him some of mine...and then the light turned green.  Damn.

We were just a little off the back starting off, but Vince waited and we were going to work to reattach to the guys ahead, but we got caught on another light.  Yes!  When we got going, Todd I believe led us out but I jumped to the front to offer one of my few pulls.  Now as we approached Jamboree, we did decide it may be best to slow down for Back Bay just to make sure we didn't round the corner to it only to hit a closed gate...something we'll always remember to be watchful for. 

As we approached and saw that the gate was open, Jeremy started us off and gapped a little while Galen looked back to see who was latched on.  Adrian was just ahead of him and he closed the gap on Jeremy as did Galen did once everyone was latched on.  Adrian relieved Jeremy bringing the pace up even more, and then Galen took the front and amped it up even more.  Since his pace wasn't slowing, I was not going to attempt to pass him until it did or unless he rolled out.  When he did finally slow, I asked him to roll out just so we can keep the pace up and it was my turn.  I was feeling okay so I held the front for a bit, but this was where I probably could have exercised a little more humility and roll out sooner.  When I did start to get passed, I wasn't sure I'd be able to latch on but the line was long, so I was just able to just ahead of Jaffe (I believe) who let me in ahead of him. 

The guys pushing the front were definitely keeping the pace up, so when Vince and Shannon rolled off, I was still struggling to hold on, so I let them get back in ahead of me.  Weak, I know, but I was in survival mode.  When we got to the rise just before Eastbluff, the group splintered pretty good here and at that point only Todd, Vince, Shannon and Galen were ahead of me. 

I was about to give chase just to try and latch on, but I opted for the steady pace instead watching the 4 guys ahead of me pull away.  I was only able to roll up to them at the light to cross Univversity to California, but surprisingly, several others rolled up just behind me.  Yowza.

I was expecting more of the same going up California, but only Todd started to break away on the climb.  I decided to latch onto him and we broke away together.  Now I tried to pass and offer some wind protection, but Todd only picked up his pace as I attempted to pass (this seems to happen more and more in this group), so when I realized I couldn't pass, back on his rear wheel I went.  Just as we were going on the last little increase in grade before the light, I got around Todd to get rid of any remaining energy I had left...which wasn't a lot. 

High octane training ride today for sure.  Congrats to Vince who ended up taking the KOM for the San Joaquin to Eastbluff segment after uploading his data last.  Plenty of PRs received on this ride as well.  I can't ask for more.  Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment