Tuesday, June 19, 2012

PV's Big Bear 50 #2 - race report!


BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That’s the sound my bike made when it broke.  The rear triangle had snapped and was rubbing on my tire.  Panic time, I am racing a series final in a few days! (this happened last Wednesday)  Luckily I had time to find a loaner.  My friend Brent came through lending me his Niner Air 9 for the race (sweet!).  I had time to squeeze in one ride on it before loading it up for Big Bear.


Sunday morning I woke up in Big Bear not feeling very good, my stomach was funky.  I had brought some Perpetuem, so I drank that instead of eating something solid.  It went down OK so at least I had some calories in me.  Then before I knew it, it was time to get in the line up and go.  The race started off pretty fast.  This time I was jersey hunting, I knew what at least one of my competitors in my age group looked like (green SoCal Endurance jersey).  I settled in behind him, kept him in eyesight, and kept pace.


I kept him in sight for about an hour, then lost him on a long singletrack down.  I had never ridden it before, and being on a different bike threw me off a little too.  Looking at the map beforehand I had thought this was a big fireroad bomb but surprise…. tricky singletrack instead.  My stomach continued to feel funky, and I was getting really, really thirsty.  It was impossible to eat or drink on this section as it required both hands on the bars and a lot of focus.


After that was a chewed up, super chunky fireroad that descended rapidly.  It was about a half hour descent, it took you a long, long ways down the other side of the mountain.   I got a chance to drink and ate a part of a bonk bar on a flat portion.  I started to feel a little better after this. 


About two hours in I hit the first feed zone.   The temperature was already just over 100 according to my Garmin.  No sign of the green jersey.  I grabbed my stuff out of my feed bag and took off. 


The long steady climb continued through a valley (very scenic by the way DT) all the way out to Highway 38.  After that we made a sharp turn onto a singletrack with some serious exposure (more than San Juan Trail) for 7 miles.  I was starting to feel better after eating more bonk bar and gels through the valley, but hadn’t hydrated enough before the ST so I had to stop and chug some liquids in the middle.  I took it real easy through here with the exposure, not knowing the trail, and not feeling 100%.  I wondered for a while how BobG would like this trail.  :)


After what seemed like going to Nevada and back we hit some pavement and looped back up to head back to the feed zone.  I was starting to synch up with more riders.  I was also finally starting to feel OK.  Shortly after this we hit the feed zone again where I loaded up with more cytomax and some banana bread.  Then it was time.


On paper this is where the race started.  A huge ass climb 3.5 hours into the race that would take about an hour.  Did I mention it was around 100 degrees out?  It is called 2N06 aka Radford Truck Trail, and it is a beast.


I started out slow and steady.  It was so hot I was moving from shady spot to shady spot even if it was a longer path.  I slowly started passing riders as they succombed to fatigue.  It felt ridiculously hot, my Garmin peaked at 102 degrees.  Other riders had stopped and started walking but I didn’t stop spinning the entire time.  I passed a lot of people when I saw it….the green jersey.  I got past him and continued.  Yes!!  My heart rate was fairly high but I was able to maintain it and hold my pace, even clicking down a gear here and there.

 
I knew I was doing fairly well when I eventually got to the top and no one had passed me.  Then it was all literally downhill from there on fun singletrack.  Zoom-zoom!  I couldn’t let green catch me now!


Down and out and past the finish line.  Sweet!  I headed back to where I was parked for a cold one.  Some guy flagged me down, ‘Hey are you Paul’?  It was the guy who had taken 1st for the series, Dave Sullivan (dude is a serious blazer).  I knew right away he was my type of people by the 22 oz Stone Ruination he was enjoying.  We chatted for a while and traded war stories as  I busted open my 22 oz Pizza Port Wipeout IPA.  Man did that taste good!

So came in 2nd for the race, and 2nd for the series.  If I had not passed up green and one other guy I would have came in 3rd for the series so that felt good.  Thank goodness for huge ass hill climbs in hot weather? Great way to start the summer!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/190192176


No comments:

Post a Comment