Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vince's Bachelor Party Run

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/11712096

According to Dictionary.com, the term bachelor party (also known as stag party) can be defined as followed:
1.  a social gathering or event for men only.
2.  a party given a bachelor by his male friends before his marriage, often on the night before the wedding, ranging from a formal gathering to a night of carousing.
3.  a gathering for men only, especially one for the purpose of watching sexually titillating movies or exhibitions.

Where the hell does it say a day of absolute punishment to the human body?!? 

Shannon's bachelor party set the precedence last year when we went Strava hunting as a precursor to a night of team bonding mixed with alcohol abuse.  In typical BAM fashion, we celebrated Vince by doing a team ride of a route of his choosing where the sadistic SOB had us do a self-sagged century plus ride down to San Diego and back from my house.  Despite how painful this seemed, we had a great turnout with the following riders representing team Broadcom in red: Shannon, Todd, Paul, Verm, Gary, Jaffe, Hiroshi, Vin, Vince, Mitchell and me.


 

Now I'm not going to describe this ride in detail given it was a long friggin' ride.  Instead, I'll list some of the highlights:
  • It was pretty badass riding down and back in the same jersey where it was clear we were a team.
  • We had several instances of girls hooting and hollering at us throughout the ride.
  • We were moving at a pretty good clip all the way down to San Diego averaging easily over 20 mph despite the warm weather, the windy conditions, and the busy roads of downtown Oceanside.
  • We picked up some stragglers on the way out and had a couple attempt to launch an attack on a a hill in Camp Pendleton only to be completely neutralized the two absolutely humbled if not embarrassed for trying.
  • The route was legit with some good climbing out in the San Elijo Hills.  On the climb up the hill at the reservoir, PV and Vin attacked it and Todd and Gary did a little wheel tango as they made their way up.
  • We did get separated a couple times and this led to some doing a few more miles than others where the high total was 116.
  • The main regroup point was a Chevron station at the beginning of the way back where Paul (celebrating his 50th b-day) feasted on a breakfast burrito among other things.  He also had a beer on our first stop.  Bad ass!
  • As expected, Shannon, Vince and Todd were on their game and were strong throughout the entire ride.  Unexpectedly, Vin finished strong as well powered by Taro buns and doing his share of pulls on the way back starting at Camp Pendleton.
  • Shannon had expected there to be casualties on this ride, and there were plenty of casualties including myself.   As far as rides go, I think I can honestly say that I experienced the worst cramps of my upper leg on this ride.  Hell, even my hips were cramping up at one point.
  • I think Mitchell is going to name his next born after me since in his words "I saved his life" when I towed him back from San Clemente to my house.  
  • Cramps continued for a lot of us at my house where I'm sure at some point, a picture of Vince having seizures on my lawn will surface on the Internet.   I was so dehydrated that even turning my head caused a muscle in my neck to cramp.  
  • On a positive side, there was not one mechanical that occurred during the whole ride.  This was an amazing feat considering how much dirt and grime were on both Vin's and Jaffe's bikes at the BEGINNING of the ride.
  • Props to Jaffe and Hiroshi for allowing us to devirginize them to become members of the elite Team Broadcom centurions.   
Now the ride isn't anything if not followed by an evening of alcohol abuse, which started at my house.  Thanks to Gary for being responsible as our designated driver of the 12 passenger van we rented.   We continued the drinking at Olamendis (thanks to Eddie for picking up the tab), the Renaissance, Henessey's and Turks where in the end, Vince's speech was so slurred that there were moments we just didn't know what he was capable of:


 Mission accomplished.  Congrats, Vince!


More pics below:









And the cramps





No comments:

Post a Comment