Monday, June 3, 2013

Lunch Ride - 3X BB on the TTs

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/58007281

Weather conditions for today's ride
I like to get on my TT bike at least once a week since the riding position is so different from the road bikes.  I didn't have a chance to over the weekend, so I didn't hesitate when Shannon prompted me to see if we wanted to take them out for a lunch ride today.  A solo TT is fun (for me anyway), but a team TT is even more of a blast.  Todd brought out his TT bike as well, but despite a weekend of drinking he was still wanting to hit the winds free from any wind protection (i.e. no drafting).  Thus, he started out far enough behind us to do so.  Jeremy and Jaffe also came out, and Jeremy proclaimed he was not taking the front at all before the ride being he was on his road bike.  He did anyway.  Stud.  

Shannon and I immediately started alternating once we got on the bike trail at the base of California.  Despite being on the TT bikes, the headwind on the way to and as we headed through Back Bay was pretty steady.  Nonetheless, we managed to average a very respectable 26 mph against the 8 mph winds thanks to some superman pulls by Shannon.  Todd, being on his own, could only watch as we pulled away since we worked together, but still averaged 24.2 on his own.  Stud.

The pace through Back Bay was tough, but I didn't let up after the gate and kept the pace up as I led our way to Jamboree and PCH.  As I realized that we got a little disconnected, Jeremy and I stopped at Bayside to regroup with Shannon who was just slightly behind us.  I believe he mentioned not to wait as he passed, so Jeremy and I latched on and Shannon led us through the bike trail beside the trailer park.  It's a difficult and probably dangerous place to pass, so all I could do at that point is just wait it out until we were back on Back Bay drive.  Jaffe had come from the opposite direction and was able to turn around after we passed him and latch back on.  Kudos to him for that as I didn't think it would be easy or even possible given that Shannon had a good pace going through that section.  

I took the front as soon as I could once we got on Back Bay drive and led us after the gate for the 2nd pass through.  During this pass, Jeremy was up for getting in the rotation and was leading us toward San Joaquin.  Thankfully, he was able to see and call out early enough to warn us about a car that backing up and sitting across both lanes of traffic just after San Joaquin.  When we thought we could go behind her, she continued to back up.  Gents, the keyword in that last sentence was "she."  Just kidding.  After having to almost come to a complete stop, we managed to squeeze in front of her car and continue on.  Unfortunately, the acceleration at this point proved to much for Jaffe to stay latched on.

Shannon, Jeremy and I continued to work our way to the top of Back Bay together alternating in the rotation.  27.5 mph average during that pass by the time we got to the gate, and the three of us were all able to get across Eastbluff and start the Jamboree climb together. I had the front on the climb, so I thought I'd settle into a good pace.  However, looking behind me at one point, I realized I was alone.  What to do...what to do.  

I decided I'd keep going given Shannon's directive on Bayside, so I continued on and hoped to maintain the breakaway as an incentive for the others behind me.  Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), I got caught at the light on Eastbluff and turning around, I saw two guys coming up behind me where I knew they would have momentum as the approached the intersection.  Once the light turned green, I started slowly and sure enough, Todd followed by Jeremy passed me.  I was prepared for it though, so I managed to latch on as they did.

Once we started climbing toward San Joaquin, I pulled out and started making my way past them and breaking away slightly as we made our way past the intersection.  This, again, was to respect Todd's wishes to not have a draft, and I figured it would give him some incentive to give chase...which he did.  One thing I know I shouldn't do but probably did 3x or more was to look back to see where they were.  This is not aero-advantageous with a TT helmet. 

I did managed to keep the breakaway all the way down PCH to Bayside, but Todd and Jeremy were right behind me at the intersection.  Once Todd passed, I figured I'd take advantage of his training goals and dropped in behind him for a super solid tow through the trailer park and through most of the way back on our 3rd pass through Back Bay.  Once we cleared all the sharper turns, I opted to give him a target once again and broke away.  I could see them giving chase and almost catching me on the climb to the top of Back Bay, but I managed to keep them off after all the way to California...barely.

Todd mentioned how we were 24+ mph average at the light, so I thought it would be cool to hold that for the whole ride.  Todd took the front early on the climb up California, but I dropped down on the aero bars after the first light and pushed all the way to the top.  I think I nearly passed out as I could see the light on Bison was green, but I pushed on anyway getting a respectable 24.1 avg (based on my Garmin data) by the time I crossed.  Strava knocked it down a tick and shows 24.  Good enough. 

Super effort from all the guys who came out today, and Jeremy is definitely back on something again.  HA HA.  Just kidding, bud...kudos.  I'm not really looking forward to lunch rides averaging more than this since it's bordering on insanity, but I'm thinking it will continue to get even faster from here.   I hope I'll be around to appreciate it. 

Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment