Saturday, June 8, 2013

Team Trainer up Baldy - Fun?!?

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/59086823

Todd threw out the idea of doing a Baldy training ride a couple weeks ago, and I didn't really think he would convince anyone to come out...including me.   I knew going with Todd alone would pretty  much mean I'd ride solo for the entire time.  Plus, with Todd indicating his plan to do double switchbacks, I REALLY wasn't on board to give that feat a try.  It's crazy!  Shannon chimed in and indicating he was going, so I ended up deciding to go since 1) he was only doing a single pass up to the ski lifts, and 2) I owed him a ride since he drove us the last time.  Galen and Jeremy also decided to come out and do some hill training with this being Galen's first time.  With how these guys climb, I pretty much expected to ride alone. 

As a last minute addition, S-Gary decided to join us also!  Talk about BAM.  Here, I was talking about how hard it is to get people to come out and do this ride, yet Gary came out despite his ongoing hip recovery and still not getting the same base miles that he used to.  Gary wasn't planning to ride up all the way to the ski lifts but just wanted to get some hill training in again, so his plan was to just see where it takes him once he starts.  He would then help provide SAG after he returned.  He still climbed all the way up to East Fork and a little past (BAM!), and then got back and as promised drove up to see if we needed any support and taking pictures when he could.  Kudos!  So for those still not coming out with us to train on this hill, what's your excuse now?

All smiles before the ride

 We all started off from the Starbucks off of Foothill, so it wasn't long before we got to GMR to start the climb.  Todd immediately started to pull away with Jeremy in tow while the rest of us decided to find our own tempo as we made our way to the first gate.  I wasn't too far behind Todd and Jeremy, and Galen and Shannon were not far behind me.  Once Todd and Jeremy got up to some other guys also making the trek up today, they seemed to have increased their pace even more.  Galen made his way past me some time after and gave chase to Todd and Jeremy ultimately catching them.   Shannon stayed behind me, and was just holding a pace to enjoy the ride.

I wasn't doing too bad where I was able to reel in some people ahead of me and not getting passed in the process...at least not by someone else not on our team.  I was working on my hill tempo, crank stroke, off- and on-the-seat climbing positions, etc., so I took advantage of the continuous climbing today to do so.  I totally lost sight of the other guys in front of me, but Shannon pretty much stayed close behind.  I did lose sight of Shannon for a little bit on GRR, so I stopped shortly to make sure he was back there (something he's done for me countless times) and it was only a few seconds when I saw him making his way toward me.  We stayed fairly close together the rest of the way on GRR and down to Baldy Village. For the record, it's always a scary thing when Shannon pulls back. 

As we made our way past the ranger station, Jeremy was sitting on his bike waiting for Galen to come out from the restroom.  Shannon and I continued on making our way toward the ice house. I started working on finding my rhythm again and actually made my way past Shannon, but I knew it would only be temporary.  I looked back at one point expecting to see Shannon behind me, but instead Jeremy had caught up to me from the ranger station.   Nice.  I expected he was going to be passing me where I was going to let him pass, but he said he was fine just staying with me.  He dropped a little bit probably from that effort from the ranger station, but never far back enough not to lose sight of me.   Stud.

Shannon made his way past Jeremy and had caught up to me and rode behind me for a bit.  I kept thinking I was getting in his way where it's not exactly easy to pass people on the switchbacks, but he eventually made his way past me before the lodge.  It was as we were making our way up toward the wall that we saw Todd heading back down the opposite way.  Shannon had increased the gap substantially, and I went into survival mode just as I was getting ready to start the wall climb.  While I was feeling hungry (forgot to eat on the way up), I really got worried when my right arm started to cramp during the climb.  Thus, I did the unthinkable and did a couple small paperboys just to get some reprieve from the intensity.  Of course, with Jeremy seeing this while behind me, he couldn't wait to let the others know.  HAHA. 

I arrived at the food trailer with Shannon's bike already propped up against it, and Jeremy came up just after me.  Galen was not far behind, but he was feeling the efforts from earlier on given he misunderstood what the plan was today.  Now that he knows the route though, I'm sure our next outing up will be a lot different for him.  Then again, he's crazy too, so who knows.

After a little break and refilling our bottles (thanks for the water, Jeremy!), we started the descent on the switchbacks.  I didn't want to lead down since I didn't want to hold the others back in case they wanted to jam down.  Jeremy led the descent, with Galen, me and Shannon behind him.  Galen was trying to videotape, so at one point Jeremy waved us on and I took the opportunity to lead.  While not a fan of descending on the switchbacks, I love to just tuck in and jam down after.   I got behind a Mercedes and was pretty much staying with it as we made our way toward the village with Galen behind me. We did see Todd making his way back up again where he asked if we were doing it too.  I wonder if he heard my "Hell no!" response.

As I started back up the climb on GRR, I started to pull away a bit but that's mostly because I like to use the adrenalin from the descent when climbing up.  I opted to spin up after awhile to see if the others would come up to me and we can go through GRR together.  Unfortunately, Shannon had gotten a flat on his descent down the switchbacks, but I didn't know until after the ride.  He and Galen were back as a result, but Jeremy made his way up to me and we were able to ride through GRR together.   We had fun!  We saw Gary on GRR and posed for some pictures as we made our way past where he parked.  You probably won't see Jeremy in the pictures though because of my big head covering his big head.

Jeremy, please keep your eyes ahead

Nothing keeps this guy from smiling.  Nothing.

Shannon giving chase after his flat
We wanted to regroup with Shannon and Galen, so the plan was to stop at East Fork.  Just before arriving there though, we passed one guy on a Trek and although he looked familiar, it was only after he called out to me when I realized it was Edward Mitoma (the guy who put us up for the Death Ride).   It turned out he was down for a wedding and decided to get some training in, so he was up there with a buddy getting it done.  We chatted some as we waited at East Fork, but once Jeremy took off after not wanting to cool down too much as well as avoid bugs, I started up GMR after him.

Shannon and one other guy was just behind me as I made my way up to where Jeremy was waiting at the top just before the descent down GMR.  Galen was just behind them, so once we got going, we were all together again.  Jeremy led us down initially and eventually waved me on, so I took the front and was really enjoying the turns with Galen just behind me.  We had some motorcycles go by, so that's always a little hairy for me, but otherwise, I love the sweeping turns on GMR. 

After coming out of one turn near the bottom, my front tire hit a rock and ended up flatting.  Thankfully, I wasn't going too fast at the time and was able to stop without any problems.  Galen, Shannon and Jeremy waited for me to get my tire fixed, but we were on our way shortly after.  Gary just missed rolling up behind us at that time as it would have been cool to borrow his front wheel for a faster fix, but he was behind us as we got on the straight descent headed back toward  the base of GMR.

Working efficiently toward the base

Teamwork!

Team BRCM racing a Corvette
Parking lot sexiness
Okay, but only because you guys asked
How many times did this cowboy go up the switchbacks?
Aside from the flats, it was a great training ride for all of us.  The best part as always is the post ride refreshments as well as the company, and it was nice to have a good-sized group to hang out with.  Todd rolled up not too long after doing his double switchbacks and was able to join us for the refreshments as well.  Stud.

Super efforts for all today on such a "ridiculous" training route, and overall a success.  Looking forward to next week's less intense training ride with this crew.  I love these guys.  Thanks for coming out!

Thanks to Gary for taking all the pictures above.  More pictures can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment