Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lunch Ride - Hot, Windy, and Just Downright Painful

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/63271069

Given Velominati rule #5, it's pretty much considered taboo to suggest that one is tired when coming out for our lunch training rides.  Additionally, most of the guys on the team are training night and day in some form or another as well, so it's hard to justify this as an excuse for poor performance...even when it's HOT and windy.  Oh well...I was tired coming out, was hot as all hell, got beat up by the wind, and just plain sucked on the ride today.  So sue me.

In all seriousness, Andy came out and joined us (Vince, Jeremy, Jaffe and Vin) for today's ride despite having crashed on a mountain bike race on Tuesday.  I really need to shut the hell up about being tired.  He was going to make the best of it despite what he described as feeling like his shoulder was dislocated.  Adrian also crashed mountain biking not too long ago, or so he said, but I didn't mention his injury on the blog because it was likely that his wife just beat him up again for not calling her after riding with us.

As far as today's ride's concerned (because I'm sure that's why you read these silly blogs),  it was the Vince and Jeremy show.  They were putting on the hurt as much as possible despite the heat while the rest of us tried to keep up.  

What's funny is that people thought I hung back on Back Bay to tow Andy back into the group.  Uh...no.  I just couldn't keep up and opted to ride with someone willing to keep a reasonable pace on such a hot day.

We were fortunate to be able to regroup at the Jamboree and PCH intersection, but I think I fell off 2-3 more times during the ride.  I did take some pulls when I could, but mostly to prevent Vince from giving me crap in the locker room.  And he would too.

Speaking of Vince, he decided to play rabbit starting from Ocean and did whatever it took to keep us chasing him.  Since he was on his own, he was only responsible for his own safety and thus should be commended for giving us a target.  Perspective.

Jeremy, on the other hand, while leading the rest of us was very safety oriented and obeyed all the traffic signals.  Kudos!  Despite this, he was still able to help reel in those who didn't.  And even then, I'd pop off the back.

When we got to El Moro, we were getting close to Vince who had to endure the wind by himself, but a light held us back from being able to do so.  Jeremy and I were making some ground on him on NPC, but just couldn't close enough where regrouping at the top with the others seemed more fun (less painful).  That was the last we saw of Vince on the road. One thing worth noting was that as Jeremy and I waited for the others at the top, we see Andy and Jaffe riding up together in what was obviously a conversational pace given that they were chatting it up. They're lucky Todd wasn't there (he left and did his own thing due to a meeting) or the truth would have set them free.

Jeremy led us at the top of Bonita Canyon onto McArthur and Bison, and I saw Vin looming around looking like he was setting up a sprint.  I took off just before the 2nd light on the 73, and still no response from the kid.  Sigh.

Thanks for coming out even on this hot windy day, gents.  Sorry I sucked, and if you've read this far, sorry I wrote about sucking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment