Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lunch Ride - Made Like an Egg in Chinese Soup and Got Dropped

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/60164194

Attendees:  Vince, Todd, Jeremy, Mitchell, Vin, Jaffe, Andy and me

Summary:
  •  Boy, it was warm today in the black jersey.
  • Jeremy starts the ride off and breaks off from everyone from the beginning.
  • We latched on some time after the stop sign at the top of E Peltason only to have Todd breakaway on Anteater.  Fortunately, he was stopped by the light on Culver.
  • Vince and Andy took some good pulls on Culver as we made our way to Campus.
  • Attrition occurred on Turtle Rock after some good rotations with Vince, Todd and Jeremy.
  • Jeremy led us again onto the bike trail and up past the first bridge.  
  • I relieved him for a little bit, but Todd took over after.  
  • Vince attempted a breakaway before the 2nd bridge, but Todd latched on and pulled the rest of us with him.  
  • Todd went for the breakaway near the top, but I was just able to close the gap after we crested.
  • Jeremy received the mandate to stay on the bike trail.  He wasn't happy.
  • Todd would drop the hammer after getting on each bike trail making it nutty for the rest of us (me, Vince, Jeremy and Mitchell)
  • There was some rotations on the bike trail beside the 405, but it was windy.  No one sprinted to the bridge (at least from what I could see from the back)
  • Mitchell pulled to the front after the bridge and led us toward University.  :)
  • Jeremy led us up Ridgeline followed by Vince, Todd, me and Mitchell
  • I stayed behind Todd, who seemed to have fallen behind a little after the first crest, so I had 2 choices:  1) close the gap or 2) know he will and stay behind.  I chose 1 (wrong answer!)
  • Vince tried to pass Jeremy after 2nd crest and I was on his outside wondering what to do, but Jeremy accelerated again causing Vince and I to get back behind him.
  • Todd goes by and takes Jeremy and Vince with him.  I said "Screw this."
  • I waited for my wingman, Mitchell, on TR where he thanked me as he passed 3x my current speed.  HA HA
  • With the 3 guys ahead out of sight, I wasn't as eager to give chase as Mitchell.  Sorry I didn't stay on going up Shady toward Bonita Canyon, bud.
  • We caught the light on Bonita Canyon and subsequently on Turtle Ridge.  
  • I led up Turtle Ridge but I didn't realize Mitchell wasn't behind me by the time we hit the first light.  
  • I half expected Mitchell to catch me on Summit, but he never did.  
  • When I saw where he was after heading back down, I opted to just continue hoping he'd catch me on the light and maybe where I'll see the others. 
  • I got the light on Bonita Canyon and ended up riding toward the Condo in that wind alone not seeing the 3 guys ahead of me.   I kept looking back at the light on McArthur but no one.
  • I picked it up on the Condo, so I did manage to get a glimpse of the 3 guys after making it onto Bison.  They were crossing McArthur already though.
  • I rolled up to the McArthur intersection only to watch them going over the 73. 
  • No one came up behind me and I finished the ride alone.   I liked it.  
 Great training ride, gents.  Excellent effort for the three breakaway-ers. 

2 comments:

  1. Shows you how impressive my sprint under the bridge was....no one even noticed. HaHa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Noah once said, some people are meant to climb hills while others are meant to sprint. You're an excellent climber, so.... :)

      Delete