Sunday, July 28, 2013

BRCM Team Trainer - Quality Over Quantity

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/70308055

For July's team event, I was hoping to host a ride that would get a lot of our team members out to represent the BRCM colors...much like our ride last month.  Unfortunately, life happens and a lot of people had things going on where it just didn't get as big as I had hoped.  Todd and Vince were able to make it out though, so I pretty much knew it was going to be a great training ride nonetheless given their caliber.  After all, Todd just won the GP TT and Vince is the undeniable Energizer bunny. 

Originally, the plan was to ride down the coast and do between 60-80 but with just the three of us, we changed our route to get some hills done in the beginning of the ride and then head down the coast and back...Todd's idea of course.  We still did almost 60 miles, but we increased the elevation gain to 2700+.  

Todd rode down from his house to mine, and it wasn't long before the three of us headed out and made our way to the bike trail.  From there, we went up Camino Del Avion to Golden Lantern and then made our way to do the Niguel and Pacific Island climbs.  During the climbs, Todd would lead us up originally but any attempt to pass him subsequently was always met with him returning the favor EVERY time.  HA HA.  Okay, so maybe Vince was right when he suspected my passes were more than just me being helpful, but I figured it wouldn't be a BAM ride otherwise.

I was hoping to get a breakaway on PI, but after a crappy shift to the small ring, Todd and Vince both left me in the dust and had to wait for me until I got to the top a few seconds behind them.  When I mis-shifted, Vince pointed out how I really need to get Shimano.  As far as front derailleurs go, I'm starting to believe it. 

When we got to PCH, it was good to be back on what I considered familiar grounds, and more so with guys who are able to work with me AND work me at the same time.  As  you would expect, everyone ahead of us became targets and cyclist after cyclists were getting reeled in and spit out the back.

It was only as we turned around at Las Pulgas when someone actually passed us during the climb up.  Of course, this was met with us reeling the sole rider in and having him latch on behind us.  At first, I was thinking he had latched on with the intent to ride behind us the whole time, but he actually pushed up as we neared the San Onofre State Beach parking lot.  We wanted to mix it up more through the parking lot, but Todd was completely out of water where we thought it better to refill. 

It was fun working with Vince and Todd on the way back, with everyone taking turns up front.  There wasn't anyone else who wanted to mix it up with us, although there was one guy who jumped ahead of us after a light only to make a right turn shortly after as we started to close on him.

On the bike trail beside the wash after Doheny, we had some race training with Todd launching attacks here and there.  Vince and I obliged and would give chase when he would, so there was definitely a lot of interval training going on.  Todd asked if the madness was over as we were nearing my house,  but I had one more attack just as soon as we made the right turn that had the straightaway behind my house.   Gotta love the competitive nature of this bunch for sure.

When we got back, my legs were spent and I actually am still feeling it a day later.  That, my friends, is what I'm talking about as far as a great workout.  I actually rode with my wife to the beach today hoping that spinning out my legs would make them feel better.  It helped a little.

Tiffany and Pam ended up coming over after the ride, as well as Noah and Sarah who stopped by to hang out,  so we ended up having some Mexican food, beers, margaritas, some of Pam's delicious blueberry cheesecake, etc.  A great ride followed by good food and beers along with great people on a beautiful Saturday afternoon...what more could you ask for?  Thanks for coming out, everyone!

P.S.  We need to buy Todd a DVD of Mean Girls, which seems to be his new favorite movie considering how many times it came out during the day.  Just sayin'. 



No comments:

Post a Comment