Thursday, July 18, 2013

Great Park TT with Todd

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/68153835

Boy it's been awhile since I blogged, but that doesn't mean we haven't been riding.  It's just been hard to get a ride in with the guys, so when I had the opportunity to race with Todd tonight at Great Park, I took it.  I was also considering riding at lunch with the guys, but based on what I saw, it looks like Shannon was out to punish where I chose to suffer for only 10 miles vs. the 20 during our lunch rides.

And suffer I did.  The weather was pretty warm upon my arrival and seemingly during the warm up laps, but it didn't seem to be too much of a factor during the race.  Although it seemed windy, that also didn't seem to play too much of a factor during the race...or at least not to the point where it seemed detrimental to our efforts.

We didn't have too much time to warm up, but we were able to squeeze in a couple laps.  I rode with Todd who was obviously pulling back, but it's funny how the average for the two laps was still 23.5 mph.

When we started, I ended up lining up before Todd did, but I suppose being that he's the point leader, he can go last.  I lined up behind two ladies where they offered to let me cut in front of them.  However, the guy doing the times had already wrote them down in preparation for their timing, so I had to go back behind them.  The lady I was behind was out there doing a TT for the first time.  She was rather freaked out with the whole process of clipping in while the guy behind her holds up her bike.  Needless to say, she had a less than optimal start and actually ate into some of my time to get ready.  Upon lining up, I was told I only had 15 seconds left to go.  No worries though...I was ready after 5.

I rolled out with no problem, so my first agenda was to reel in and pass the two ladies who were let go ahead of me.   I was actually able to reel in the first one after the first turn at the top, and the 2nd by the long stretch on the back.  Cool.

I felt okay for my first lap, but seemingly on my second lap, I felt like my heart rate spiked some and had to pull back just a little.  I felt better on the 3rd lap, but then looking at my stats for each lap, it seemed I actually did a little better on my 2nd lap.  Go figure. 

During the first three laps, I looked for opportunities to reel other people in and I believe I was able to reel in two more.  I did get passed by one guy where I just couldn't hold his pace, but that's okay.  I wasn't going to blow my wad trying.  My strategy was just to be consistent with a goal of bettering my previous time.

On the last lap, I saw one guy on the back stretch and made up my mind that I was going to reel him before the finish.  I passed one guy on the beginning of the back stretch, and then worked to just make my way up to him closing on every turn.  When we got to the last stretch, he was just ahead of me so I did what I could to try and pass him before the finish.  Check.  I guess they were wondering how it was going to workout given the timing line is pretty narrow, but I just dropped the hammer and got passed him safely and well ahead of the finish line.

After rolling off and cooling down off the track, it wasn't too long before Todd entered the same area after the race.  He killed it as they reported that he beat his best time from before based on what Pam and Lisa overheard.  What a monster!

While I don't know the official results, I think we represented very well with Todd likely taking top honors again for our class.  I was happy to beat my last time with a 26.3 mph average whereas Todd dominated being in the 27s again.  I'll update the blog with the official results once posted.

As with previous rides, the highlight is just hanging out after and tossing a couple back with the ladies.  Obviously this would be more fun when more show up, but it was nice to just be able to get out again and show what Team BRCM can do.  Great night of racing for sure....

Some photos:












1 comment:

  1. Great time and times!! Thanks for the beverages. Hopefully we can get people out there next week and next year. I talked to the guy and he says next year at the GP is a go.

    ReplyDelete