Monday, July 1, 2013

Lunch TT Trainer with Todd and Andy

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/64099132

After a weekend solo outing on the TT bike having fun chasing people down, which by the way is one way BAM represents, today it was my turn to get chased.  Thus, the huntER becomes the huntED.  And when you're being chased by the the current GP TT first place holder, THE Todd Jacobs, it's quite unnerving to say the least.  Even with a head start, I was convinced it would just be a matter of time when he would catch and pass me.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't make him work for it though....

Andy also came out for some TT action, but he was set on doing his own thing given he is still recovering from last week's spill.  We weren't sure what time he was going to make it out as he mentioned possibly taking off early, but he ended up coming out just after Todd left.  I figured I'd see him in front of us, but it was only as I was heading back toward Back Bay that we crossed paths.  Sorry for the disconnect, but it looks like you had a solid solo outing according to Strava.

When I took off, I was hoping to have about a 4 minute head start from Todd given it was already 11:41 and Todd was planning on taking off just at 11:45.  Of course, I hit the light on Bison and end up sitting there until 11:43.   By the time I got down to the light after University, which was red, it was already 11:45 so I knew Todd was on his way.  With no cars making a left turn, I was certain Todd would be rolling up on me soon.  Miraculously, it finally turned green and I took off.  I didn't look back since I figured doing so and seeing Todd would just spike my heart rate, so I just settled in hoping to keep him off as long as I could.

Going through Back Bay (out) was pretty windy, so I knew it would not be a record setting pace.  Looking at my speed (ranging between 21-24 mph), I was thinking should I try to go faster and risk the possibility of blowing up or just try to hold this speed to make it out of the wind.  I chose the latter, but doing so always gave me that eerie feeling that Todd was just behind me.  Still, I wouldn't look back for the same reason as earlier.

Going onto Jamboree and up to PCH, I was still just trying to stay at threshold knowing I can recover a little going down on PCH toward Bayside.  I think I did peek a little as I approached Bayside just to see if Todd was behind me, and no sign of him yet.  I was not going to slow down though as I know Todd never stops pedaling. He's a machine on his TT bike.

On my way through Back Bay (in), I was feeling a little better so I was able to crank it up a bit.  Looking at Todd's stats, he also had cranked it up as well and was reeling me in little by little as he had through other segments.  However, I was able to make it out of Back Bay alone.

When I got on Jamboree, my goal was to try to keep the power steady and hope Todd doesn't catch me on the climb.  I know it's getting a little repetitious how I keep thinking Todd's right there, but that is seriously how my ride went.  From this point on, know that the rest of the ride went pretty much like that too.

I was fortunate that I didn't have any long stops on Jamboree to PCH, but it looks like Todd did according to Strava.  He lost over a minute on that segment to me, but his move speed overall was faster where it was obvious he had caught some red lights.  I think it was due to this that he was not able to see me for the rest of the ride.  I'm sure he never stopped chasing just as much as I never stopped trying to run away.

On the final pass through Back Bay, there was more traffic and people, and Todd had gained some ground on me in that segment as well.  When I got to California and waited for the light to change, I was peering around the bush on the trail expecting to see his front tire roll up.  A girl or a cruiser bike had rolled up to that light as well and was probably wondering what the hell I was staring at behind us.

In the end, we both got 23+ mph average with Todd besting me (as expected) by .3 to .4 mph.  I think him chasing me and me being chased pushed us both resulting in some great times despite the wind.  I know I was worked by the time I got to the gym.  Thanks, beast!

2 comments:

  1. Great ride! It was a bit disheartening not ever at least seeing you up ahead. It shows the power and speed you have. It was lot of fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I train with the best guys, so....

      Delete