Monday, July 22, 2013

TT Training with Todd


I had made plans to get another TT ride in for Thursday's race, and who better to ride with than the current CAT 4/5 points leader for the Great  Park time trials.   I didn't even plan to go out with anyone originally, so it was definitely nice to see Todd coming into the gym with his TT bike too.  

When I saw him, we originally were thinking about me playing rabbit again.  However, our plans changed at the corner with me deciding to ride with him instead.  And by ride with him, I meant behind him of course.  Actually, I really was going to try and ride outside the draft originally.  However, once he took off, he was in full sprint already where I didn't think I'd be able to hang.  That's right...I said it.

When we got down to University, I came up with a different plan all together.  Try and stick with Todd as long as possible and on the last pass back, if I was still with him, play rabbit then just to push him harder in the end.  It would be good for us both, but more for Todd to make sure he clinches next Thursday's race.  The sacrifices I make for the team....

In the first pass through BB, I would occasionally be out of the draft only to feel the wind pushing against us.  I was certain our speed was dropping but as I looked down after exiting BB, we were just under a 24 avg.  Yowza!

After just a little slowing going up Jamboree to PCH, we went through the Mobilehome park and back through BB A LOT FASTER with the average well above 24.  Keep in mind this was still ALL Todd!

As we climbed up Jamboree toward Bison, I had visions of glory where I wondered could I break away at this point?  Then my female genitalia relegated me to stay back still and wait for a more opportune time.  This worked out well because we caught a few lights on Jamboree anyway.  I figured I'll try after we hit BB again.  

Todd was still moving every chance he could, so staying with him was not that easy.  It was for this reason that I didn't (or couldn't) pass him until after we passed San Joaquin.  

When I finally decided to play rabbit, I let Todd know as I passed him the rabbit was on.  I dropped the hammer at that point knowing full well that I had a madman chasing me.  It was where I knew not to go too hard and blow up but  not slow down enough to get caught.  "Stay in the zone!," I kept yelling inside..."Stay in the zone!!!"

I did manage to give Todd a steady target all the way to California and even hit the button just in time for him to come up and not have to stop as he started his ascent up California.  Of course, I latched back on as he did and tried to push him harder near the top as I passed from behind him.  Again...the things I do.

Helluva pace for Todd to be doing completely on his own.  I'm not sure being on a road bike would have allowed me keep up.  Let's just say I wouldn't want to find out.  Good job out there in the heat, TJ!  Killed it!




No comments:

Post a Comment