Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lunch Ride - Bucking the Trend

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/94752711

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but sometimes I really don't get our lunch rides.  If we gather to ride together, then why would anyone from the onset want to break away?  I understand that it makes for good training, but then wouldn't leaving 5 minutes before or after everyone else or choose an all together different route result in the same thing?   This seems to becoming more and more of the pattern on our rides, and in all honesty, it's a disturbing trend that I don't think I'll be highlighting anymore on my write-ups.  It just seems to encourage the behavior, so I suppose I'll take some responsibility here.

One thing I will highlight was that it was nice to see Jeremy wearing a BRCM jersey again today.  It would have been good to ride with him if he didn't have a change in plans and do the puke route instead.  I can't really say I blame the guy.

After getting separated from Todd and Vince at the Anteater/Bonita Canyon intersection, the rest of the guys regrouped at the light that included me, Mitchell, Vin, Adrian and Jaffe.  With all hopes of riding with the two ahead of us gone at that point, I was set to just get a good ride in and get in as much work as possible.  It was a good day weather-wise, so I didn't mind working the front and doing what I can to keep up a good pace.

Adrian only went mountain biking last week, so it was nice to see him on the road bike again.  He helped out on the Culver descent toward Campus, but I think fell off sometime during the TR climb.  See what one week off can do?  Sorry, bud.

One surprise for the day was Vin taking the front as often as he did.  Hell, I thought Mitchell would be rolling past me more often, but just about every time someone passed me, it was Vin.  Now he may have a different interpretation of his passes than I do, but let me share with you my perspective.  Except for a couple times on a climb where he passed more gradually, the other times seemed like there was some intent behind them based on how fast he'd gap me...especially after I've been pulling for a while.   Now, I'm not going to say for sure he wanted to drop me, but it sure seemed that way.  However, rather than saying this was a bad thing, I'll actually give the kid props for trying.  It definitely made the ride more interesting...for me anyways.  The fact that he took chances definitely deserved some kudos, but it would be nice if they weren't after being towed for a while when he'd take them.  Kudos anyway as I got a great workout as a result.

Despite the hills and everything on today's route, the 4 of us stayed together throughout where I really didn't mind pulling for a good portion of the ride.  In fact, I didn't think anything of it until Jaffe thanked me in the locker room after for all the work.  Yeah, I'm thinking that may be a good trend to start moving forward.  I'm still going to bring in my TT bike to train some days during the week where it is what it is, but if I'm on my road bike, let's ride.

Thanks for the workout today, gents!  

No comments:

Post a Comment